Rail buttons

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 43064

Reaction score
I’ve always built my rocket kits following the manufactures advice and never had a failure. I’d like to start some simple modifications on F motor kits. I plan on replacing cardboard centre rings and fins with plywood, but my first question is replacing launch lugs with rail buttons. Do I place the rail buttons where the lugs are suggested? Sorry if it sounds like a stupid question.

I like to put the rear button as far down as possible. the top can go near the CG location, but that is not set in stone. I have several rockets that have 3 buttons.

I’ve always built my rocket kits following the manufactures advice and never had a failure. I’d like to start some simple modifications on F motor kits. I plan on replacing cardboard centre rings and fins with plywood, but my first question is replacing launch lugs with rail buttons. Do I place the rail buttons where the lugs are suggested? Sorry if it sounds like a stupid question.
Not a stupid question!
I typically place the aft rail button/guide about 2 cm from the end of the body, adjacent the trailing edge of the fins, and a forward button/guide near the CoG.

Last edited:
Not stupid at all. I am with @David Schwantz with this, one low as you can go (may be a problem if minimum diameter, as you don't want to put the screw where the motor is going to go, in that case just forward of the motor. I like the forward one at the CG.

Also beware of proximity of fins, obviously you can't put it in a fin root like I usually do with launch lugs, so usually you are going to go midway bewteen fins as far as axial placement..

Back