rail buttons

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redsox15

Reaction score
I am looking to get rail buttons for my crayon rocket (under scratch built on the forum) and am hoping to fly it at NERRF 6. If I put the small buttons on my rocket will there be pads there that can accomidate the small buttons?

Thanks in advanced,

Matt

I am looking to get rail buttons for my crayon rocket (under scratch built on the forum) and am hoping to fly it at NERRF 6. If I put the small buttons on my rocket will there be pads there that can accomidate the small buttons?

Thanks in advanced,

Matt

NERRF has 1010 1515 and unistrut pads

you will be fine

Ben

Thank you Ben,

Another question is, is there a difference in performance between nylon and derlin buttons?

Matt

Thank you Ben,

Another question is, is there a difference in performance between nylon and derlin buttons?

Matt

nothing but money :p

Some may say delrin holds up better then nylon overtime but to me they are all the same thing.

Ben

Before you spend more money than you should.

check out railbuttons.com if you haven't already!

$.25 per nylon 1010.

buy them in bulk and have them ready for use. I mean 20 for $5+$2 for shipping, seven bucks. some people sell these 2 bucks a pair.

Railbuttons.com is good and they will deliver BUT for reasons I'm not sure of their delivery times, at the moment, seem to be a month or two. If you need them quick you might try somewhere else. If you can wait, you can't beat the price. FWIW

yes I have been looking at railbuttons.com they have great prices and my brothers and I need a couple pairs so we will be getting them soon for our various projects.

Thanks for the advice,

Matt

yes I have been looking at railbuttons.com they have great prices and my brothers and I need a couple pairs so we will be getting them soon for our various projects.

Thanks for the advice,

Matt

Just trying to make sure you don't get ripped off ;)

Matt,
I purchased the Rattworks low drag rail buttons from Blacksky Rocketry.

The unique feature is that they come with a weld nut that can be inserted from inside the airframe and the button itself is countersunk for the machine screw. When the screw is in the button it presents a flat top.

The button can be removed and replaced if needed.

To insert the weld nut on a small diameter rocket from inside the airframe I first drilled the appropriate size hole then ran a length of weedwacker line (nylon) through the hole and out the top of the rocket.

I put the weld nut on the line and tied a knot behind it. Pulling the line back out the side of the rocket the weld nut will eventually pop through the hole.

Pushing the weld nut back in slightly I can put a dab of epoxy inside the airframe on the flange part and pull it through till it seats where I want it.

Push the weedwacker line back through and pull it out the top.

I don't know why they are called low drag unless its because there isn't a fastener head sticking out of the button.

I also understand that a number of vendors/dealers have these.

Blacksky was good to deal with.

Wm.

ONAWHIM

I just looked up Black Sky Rocketry and they have suspended services for the time being. There is a note from the owner at the bottom of the web page. Thank you for another option though :D

Matt

just curious,

does anyone know where railbuttons.com is based out of?

Thanks,

Matt

The ether we call the Internet. :cool:

Seriously, I've received at least three separate shipments and don't remember the return address (if there was one). And in two cases it had been so long I had forgot I ordered. Kinda like receiving a gift from the "tooth fairy"--it just shows up and you count your blessings.

just curious,

does anyone know where railbuttons.com is based out of?

Thanks,

Matt

Last edited:
And in two cases it had been so long I had forgot I ordered. Kinda like receiving a gift from the "tooth fairy"--it just shows up and you count your blessings.

that is what I have heard. I ordered them now and not two weeks before I need them so I am not scrambling for parts.

Matt

Railbuttons.com is good and they will deliver BUT for reasons I'm not sure of their delivery times, at the moment, seem to be a month or two. If you need them quick you might try somewhere else. If you can wait, you can't beat the price. FWIW

I just got mine in a week and a half.

You know I've heard they're a little inconsistant. I ordered a couple of dozen and it took just under two months. One of my club members got his in a week.:confused2: I have a small stock so I'm good for my next couple builds. I WILL order from them again. Just won't cut myself short on time.

You know I've heard they're a little inconsistant. I ordered a couple of dozen and it took just under two months. One of my club members got his in a week.:confused2: I have a small stock so I'm good for my next couple builds. I WILL order from them again. Just won't cut myself short on time.

Ya I ordered mine back in april and his website says they havent even been shipped yet. Hoping they show up before NERRF

Matt

Back