rail buttons on fins

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdmmdr

Reaction score
i am scratch building an 8 foot zephyr. but don't like the idea of running a rod up inside of it for the launch rail. has anyone put their buttons on a fin with high power and how did it work. i don't see an issue, but thought i would check.

i am scratch building an 8 foot zephyr. but don't like the idea of running a rod up inside of it for the launch rail. has anyone put their buttons on a fin with high power and how did it work. i don't see an issue, but thought i would check.

The biggest problem I see with it, especially with an 8 foot tall rocket, is torque. Unless your fins have an excessively long root, or you have canards and one button is on that, you've got a lot of leverage working against those buttons.

Running a rod internally is actually a great way to reduce drag and prevent problems. The really cool thing is that if you keep it separate from any recovery components, centering rings alone can work as "lugs".

This is how we build our really big (several hundred pound) projects.

-Kevin

Back