Rail Buttons--Do you use an adhesive?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dk54321

Reaction score
The screws should be plenty strong, but do you add something to keep them from coming unscrewed? Loctite? CA? Epoxy? Something else?

If you're going into a well nut or pem nut, use Loctite 242, it's a removable thread locker

If your goung into a CR or wooden block, I use a little dab of plastic wood filler

If you are going into a rubber gromet, use Permatex gasket sealer

If you are just going into an open tube wall use JB Weld

If you fly successfully enough times, you will eventually need to change out the worn buttons, in all the above methods you will be able to back out the screws without damaging the rocket. I also tighten the screws until the button can't rotate, let the material cure, then back the screw off just enough so that the button can rotate.

I'm building an E-powered Big Daddy clone with buttons screwed into Foamcore centering rings.

<snip!>

If you are just going into an open tube wall use JB Weld

If you fly successfully enough times, you will eventually need to change out the worn buttons, in all the above methods you will be able to back out the screws without damaging the rocket. I also tighten the screws until the button can't rotate, let the material cure, then back the screw off just enough so that the button can rotate.
Even an old dude can learn something new....THANKS!

My 2c...on any normal rocket (ie one whose body is not cardstock or foam or other odd material) below J power I just go into the tube material, adjacent to a centering ring if possible, and treat the hole with thin CA. I have yet to have a failure yet. On yours, I'd first install them and then fill the hole in the foam with wood glue or epoxy and reinsert. Probably not necessary but once you have foam to screw into, why not?

Back