3D Printing Rail Button Inserts

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I ordered rail buttons for the first time and was looking how I wanted to mount them. I wanted a flush install so I could remove them if I wanted to. I came up with this bracket that sits on the inside of a 3.0" body tube. I'm sure I overcomplicated things but let me know what yall think!

PXL_20230604_183741744.jpg

PXL_20230604_183806276.jpg

PXL_20230604_183855435.jpg

I have it tapered on both sides so it "should" be smooth. I'll definitely be testing it though, it's going in a doorknob build right now just for practice.

View attachment 584409

I saw that. It can still create a narrowing, and if your chute is past it, it can reduce the ability to eject it. I learned this the hard way.

I did something very similar on my 4" Fiberglass Tube Fin. This required me to offset the exterior rail button a bit so the rail didn't hit the tube fin. 4" is a lot of interior space, and I mounted the rail guides low, so I wasn't worried about interfering with the recovery harness.

I've also done something very similar for smaller diameter rockets, but there I also contour the interior holder. Same thing for camera shroud interior holders.

Attachments

• Part Studio 1 - RailButtonHolderExterior.stl
    55.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Part Studio 1 - RailButtonHolderInterior.stl
    56.3 KB · Views: 0
Back