Rail Button Hardware

Discussion in 'Mid Power Rocketry (MPR)' started by Joe Rocket 97, Nov 4, 2018.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Nov 4, 2018 #1

Joe Rocket 97

Joe Rocket 97

Joe Rocket 97

Looking to get some tee nuts or flange nuts to mount 10-10 rail buttons, Are the screws 6-32 or 8-32 that hold them in place? any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

2. Nov 4, 2018 #2

Keisling

Keisling

Keisling

Licensed Practical Rocket Surgeon

Most of the ones I've used are 6-32 but there are a lot of different rail buttons out.

3. Nov 4, 2018 #3

rharshberger

rharshberger

rharshberger

Depending on where you are located Joe, Lowes or Home Depot carry tee nuts and brad hole tee nuts (tee nuts with out spikes, instead they have 3 small holes for brads). You can also use rawl nuts aka rubber expanding nuts.

4. Nov 4, 2018 #4

stantonjtroy

stantonjtroy

stantonjtroy

I typically use Rail Buttons.com or Dog House rail buttons (1010). Both are 8-32.

5. Nov 5, 2018 #5

Nytrunner

Nytrunner

Nytrunner

Master of Rivets

Dog house buttons can be reamed a tad to fit the collar of a 6-32 weld-nut. Those are my choice and they can be picked up at Lowes in the hardware aisle (never seen them at Home Depot)

6. Jan 21, 2020 #6

o1d_dude

o1d_dude

o1d_dude

'I battle gravity'

Warning! Thread Necromancy!

I recently updated a tube fin rocket with the addition of rail buttons in place of a large launch lug.

Lowe's does indeed stock 6-32 t-nuts in their fastener section and they are usually in the drawers of parts. I prefer the t-nuts that are labeled as "brad hole" because they do not have the bent up teeth to keep the part from rotating. A dab of epoxy will hold the t-nut in place.

The 6-32 t-nuts seem to require a 3/16" hole drilled in the body tube. (It goes without saying that the t-nut goes inside the fuselage/body tube and the rail button goes on the outside so I won't say that.) Bend the t-nut flange slightly to make it fit the curve of the body tube. Make sure the screw through the rail-button does not protrude into the body tube where it might snag the recovery system. Choose an appropriate sized fastener or cut to size.

For those wondering how to launch a tube fin rocket from a rail, the rail passes through one of the tube fins and a pair of stand-offs for the rail buttons are used to provide clearance between the fin and the rail. Stand-offs can be made or purchased. I buy mine from Dog House Rocketry (now owned by Mike Fisher). It was necessary to clamp the stand-offs into a vise and drill the holes out to 3/16" to fit the t-nuts. Another solution might be to stack two rail buttons and use only the top button. I chose not to go this route because of the possibility of a mismount at the pad. Excitable boy, ya know?

7. Jan 21, 2020 #7

dhbarr

dhbarr

dhbarr

Amateur Professional

With three piece buttons I noticed the thin parts were about the same thickness as my tube, so I just did two on the bottom ends and filleted a bit of epoxy.

8. Jan 25, 2020 #8

Binder Design

Binder Design

Binder Design

Thanks for the mention! We now offer them with the flange nuts, no reaming necessary. :)
    http://binderdesign.com/store/rail-button-supply-house.html

Nytrunner, g.pitts and ben like this.