R3

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very cool little rocket!
High tech with the design and parts production!

Well done. I'm sure the recovery will get sorted out. My micro's typically don't get the streamer to deploy, they end up
more of a tumble recovery.

How high is R3 going?

Thanks!

OpenRocket, the weight estimate of which was only off by 0.2g and now has measured numbers put in, puts it at 168ft. I'm not good at eyeballing distances, especially vertical, but I could believe it's hitting around 150ft. Granted it's tiny, but it's way out of sight, and the flights feel a lot like 1/2A or lower-altitude A models.

More or less the final iteration of R3:

PXL_20210501_124552407~2.jpg PXL_20210501_124736114~2.jpg

There have been several---this is another iteration alongside the original (left).

PXL_20210424_162127616~2.jpg

Slow motion video of a launch before painting the build pictured up top:

View attachment R3-kit-slow.mp4

I've been very happy with how this design performs. Sure, it's real simple, but it's a reliably enjoyable little flier. So much so that I've put some extra work into it: As announced in the Sponsor Market, R3 is now a little kit up for sale.

Just completed my R3 Honey Bee. I figured rather than start a new thread just to share the pageant pics I would post them here. I did the color scheme purely based on the instruction card. I sprayed the entire rocket with transport yellow then freehanded the fins and nose with some mixed testors acrylic.
20221227_132333.jpg
20221227_132218.jpg
I thought the big aerotech case with the honeycomb protector on it was a particularly fitting background for this pose.
Ken

Back