R.O.C. Launch January 10th

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewEntity1

Reaction score
I'm at work still (and will continue to be until 9pm), so I can't attach the photos right now...but they are uploaded onto my desktop pc at home, so early tomarrow I'll attach 'em :)

I'll start with a description right now, though:

I arrived around 10:30am, after a 2+ hour drive. Sheez, there sure are a lot more stoplights running through Hesperia now! They are going to have to add new freeways running through the desert soon. But I digress.

I had no trouble spotting the line of cars/trucks parked out in the middle of nowhere, and reached the launch area just in time to see some rocket go up on a J350. It sounded like a jet! :) Since the largest I had ever seen fly before was a G64, this was quite a sight for me :D

There were a lot more people than I had expected. Since this is the first launch I've attended by this particular club, I'm not sure if this turnout is typical or not.

No L's or M's this day (at least not 10:30 or later), but a few Ks went up, and quite a few Js, as well as lots of Is, Hs, and smaller rockets. There were several hybrids that went up this day as well, including...get this!...a RattWorks Tribrid . That's the new one from RattWorks that transitions from a N20/solid fuel hybrid to an N2o/ liquid alcohol motor during its burn. The motor worked great, but the rocket had deployment problems.

At least two people earned their Cert IIs that day (not sure if they were Tripoli certs or NAR), and there were several Level I certs.

It was quite an impressive show. Its a pity my camera is so slow (5 year old digital that you have to hold the button for like 3 seconds before a single picture finishes). I got picture of a couple coming down, but most of the ones going up just show smoke trails. I did get lucky on one small rocket drag race, though.

Picture to be posted soon, I hope.

Hey NewEntity! I'll try to find you at the next ROC I'm at... me and rocwizard are regulars out there! :) That's actually a smaller than usual turnout... ROCStocks are big! It's a pity Dok's Tribrid didn't deploy, there's been some problems with cold solder joints on the Altacc 2Cs that has caused a few no-shows on the chute.

I flew my yellow and orange Laser/LOC on a J570W and spent all day recovering it... see the report and pics in the "Events" forum here:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5731

Hope to see you on the lakebed!

hey NewEnt!! you are lucky you only had a 2 hour drive, for us from Sunnyvale it is 9 hours!! but worth it!!! we left right after school let out, drove all night, arrived at midnight under a _beautiful_ waning moon - so bright you could read. and man was it cold sleeping in the desert!!

sorry we didn't meet up. let's plan ahead for next time with Davey and other TRF folks.

I'll go ahead and post my pics (such as they are) in the thread Davey mentioned. I don't normally pop outside of the 'general discussion' catagory of forums, so I didn't see the other R.O.C.
:)

Back