R-DAS Tiny drivers for Windows 10

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PJW

Reaction score
I have a 'R-DAS Tiny' flight computer but don't have the drivers on my PC to communicate with it. The manufacurer (AED) went out of business earlier this year, and closed their website so there is no way to download this file from them. If anyone has these drivers I would be grateful to get them. Thank you.

Thank you very much Mike. Those indeed appear to be exactly what I was looking for today. I do appreciate you taking the time to come to help me out! Paul

Can you provide a detailed photo of the IC right next to the USB port? Chances are, it is a controller from FTDI. Those can be downloaded here:
https://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

However, there are ways to customize the FTDI controllers that would prevent installation of the stock driver, so it is not guaranteed that this driver will work.

Reinhard

Thank you for that Reinhard. The resolution in my photos of the IC are not detailed enough to send you. As you suggested, the controller is an FTDI with the following numbers: 1514-C; GQ370761; FT232RL

Does that give you what you were looking for?

Mike C. in an earlier reply to my question provided a link to Wayback Machine where some drivers for the AED R-DAS Tiny are archived for downloading. I am going to verify with someone who has a couple of functing R-DAS flight computers that this is the most up to date driver available.

Again, thank you for speaking up. I do appreciate it.

- Paul W.

Thank you for that Reinhard. The resolution in my photos of the IC are not detailed enough to send you. As you suggested, the controller is an FTDI with the following numbers: 1514-C; GQ370761; FT232RL

Does that give you what you were looking for?

You can try the driver from my link above then.

However, if AED customized the IDs or description, this driver will not work (at least not with a major amount of reverse engineering). Given Windows driver certification, nowadays I'd be inclined to replace the FT232RL with a "virgin" one, instead of trying to fit the driver to the the RDAS (but only if the VCP driver is used and not the D2XX).

Reinhard

Reinhard,

I found someone with an R-DAS Tiny flight computer who emailed me the files I needed. The FTDI controller was in fact customized and without a proper signature for Windows to communicate with it. Ended up calling FTDI customer service in Edinburgh (very helpful fellow), and they sent me the steps to Disable the OS Certification check within Windows 10. That did the trick.

My understanding of computer architecture is quite limited, so I definitely have you to thank for getting me off on the right track.

Paul

Tony,

Was unable to upload the R-DAS Tiny driver or GUI to this site as they were rejected as having the wrong file extensions (i.e. .dll)

Paul

Ended up calling FTDI customer service in Edinburgh (very helpful fellow), and they sent me the steps to Disable the OS Certification check within Windows 10. That did the trick.

Now that's some good service, considering they probably made less than a buck, a dekade ago, with your RDAS.

Reinhard

Back