R&D kits good kits?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
I am considering a Rocket R&D kit, and I am wondering what thier quality is like. I would like to know everything. What are teh fins, tubes, shockcords, launch lugs or rail guides, and nose cones are made of, if the tubes are pre-slotted, ease of instructions ETC. I am thinking of getting the 2.6" Sandhawk. Does anyone have one of those? Are they very good? THanks! -Neil

Rocket R&D is, unfortunately, out of business [so I was told a few months ago]. Its a shame because they had some cool kits. The range of kit sizes was very similar to LOC's.

Now, if you can find one [check with Countdown Hobbies in Connecticut], R&D kits are pretty close to LOC kits in terms of quality of parts. The first difference is the shock cord mounting; THOY kits [THOY was assimilated into R&D about 10 years ago] gave you a cable to mount the shock cord to the upper centering ring. R&D kits sometimes use LOC nose cones, and other times use longer AeroTech nose cones. The tubes are not pre-slotted; you'll be cutting your own fin slots.

Their kits were by no means "state of the art", but were still a good value. I've had my THOY Wasp for over 10 years now, and its been one of my favourite rockets.

nice kits, I have the 4" sandhawk. Someone was holding onto it though so I dont know where you are going to find one

So are they planning starting up again in the future or is this for good?

According to the website, the person who runs Rocket R&D has fallen ill. If it does come back, it may be under someone else's ownership.

Rocket R&D, IIRC, is composed of a few smaller kit makers/vendors; THOY, Cluster R, and one other [it may have been Rocket Research, but I can't be conclusively sure]. I really wish that they had re-split the companies so THOY and/or Cluster R would still be around.

Back