Quantcast

R&D kits good kits?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Neil

Reaction score
I am considering a Rocket R&D kit, and I am wondering what thier quality is like. I would like to know everything. What are teh fins, tubes, shockcords, launch lugs or rail guides, and nose cones are made of, if the tubes are pre-slotted, ease of instructions ETC. I am thinking of getting the 2.6" Sandhawk. Does anyone have one of those? Are they very good? THanks! -Neil

gothique_97

Reaction score
Rocket R&D is, unfortunately, out of business [so I was told a few months ago]. Its a shame because they had some cool kits. The range of kit sizes was very similar to LOC's.

Now, if you can find one [check with Countdown Hobbies in Connecticut], R&D kits are pretty close to LOC kits in terms of quality of parts. The first difference is the shock cord mounting; THOY kits [THOY was assimilated into R&D about 10 years ago] gave you a cable to mount the shock cord to the upper centering ring. R&D kits sometimes use LOC nose cones, and other times use longer AeroTech nose cones. The tubes are not pre-slotted; you'll be cutting your own fin slots.

Their kits were by no means "state of the art", but were still a good value. I've had my THOY Wasp for over 10 years now, and its been one of my favourite rockets.

Ryan S.

Reaction score
nice kits, I have the 4" sandhawk. Someone was holding onto it though so I dont know where you are going to find one

mkmilion

Reaction score
So are they planning starting up again in the future or is this for good?

gothique_97

Reaction score
According to the website, the person who runs Rocket R&D has fallen ill. If it does come back, it may be under someone else's ownership.

Rocket R&D, IIRC, is composed of a few smaller kit makers/vendors; THOY, Cluster R, and one other [it may have been Rocket Research, but I can't be conclusively sure]. I really wish that they had re-split the companies so THOY and/or Cluster R would still be around.