R/C Yachts

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cydermaster

Reaction score
On my way back from my parents, after doing the Mothering Sunday thing, I went via my loacl park and stopped to watch the r/c yachts on the lake. I've always thought these look like good fun, and I wouldn't mind trying them out.

I've googled and wikipedia-ed it, but can't find any links to sites about the hobby with advise on how to get started, where/what to buy, etc.

I'm wondering if anybody here is into this hobby and can direct me to a good site?

I am heavily into RC Airplanes but one site I frequent is ALL RC so you'll find boat and sailing forums there..

rcuniverse.com

good for a start...

Cheers Trodger! :D

Within minutes of surfing the site you posted I found I was looking up the wrong term. Its 'RC Sailboats', NOT 'RC Yachts' I should have been searching for.

I've got plenty of google-fodder now! :D

Originally posted by r1dermon
www.dumasestore.com REALLY nice stuff.

There's a name I had forgotten about!

I have one of their older kits; no longer listed on the site. Little Dolphin, I believe, is what it's called.

My dad and I built it when I was 13; we made it electric, and the electrics of the day were pretty pokey.

I have an outboard gas I bought to put on it; just haven't gotten around to doing that.

-Kevin

I have a Victor "Wild Cat". it's a lot of fun to sail. as a catamaran design it's a bit behind the times, early 1960s equivalent. I supposed that's reasonable, because it can't have any active ballast :) The rudder hinge system is fragile.

one time I capsized it (got greedy in a gust). it floated upside down for a half hour while I drove home and got my inflatable boat, drove back to the lake, inflated it, paddled across the lake to get the Wild Cat back.

once they dried out the electronics started working again.

yeah troj, their stuff is awesome,i wish i had the money to drop on stuff like that. as it is i have a traxxas blast with a 17 turn modded motor, and a caribbean cruiser which im hoping to put some 700 motors in, 770 if i can't fit two 700's. should rip water.

I got in trouble at a sailboat regatta once...
It was actually before the race while people were milling
around, getting set... etc...
I was demonstrating a R/C helicopter to the gathering crowd,
so I flew out over the lake. The class boat at the time were the "Star 45's"... really nice size and alll... anyway, as I approached back in to land... without thinking, I transitioned in over the group of boats. I sorta blew a bunch of them over... or at least sideways... I'm not allowed to fly at the regattas anymore...!!!

I too would love to build and sail an R/C sailboat... I own a full size cat, and I'm thinking of modeling that....

A very popular class is now the Seawind, by Kyosho. I have the Fairwind that I like a lot. Not really a speedboat, but a nice scale sailer.

I got a lot of advice at both RCU and RCGroups.

Scott

A friend of mine tried to get me involved in R/C boats but I though...fast slow right left...loud(gas motors)...boreing!:eek:

Then I saw this as a basic shell at the Toledo hobby show and I thought...KEWAL!!!:cool:

I never realized how much weight would be needed on a 38" model to get it to submerge (and come back up!). About 12#'s of lead, three 7.2v battery packes (it'll run at scale speeds for about 45 minutes to an hour on a charge!)

If i open it up it'll do a scale 700mph on the water (way too much motor) but it does have a speed control with reverse.

I use a r/c fuel tank front an rear with a built in pump to adjust the "ballast".

It works great! When it's submerged it can be hard to find. The best technique is to put on a bathing suit and just walk into the water and run it around you.

I also let it drag 15' of fishing line and a fishing bobber so I can find it (just in case!).

It our local harbor it's a riot!

Back