R/C 2x Upscale Rokitflite Fake Wulf rocket glider

burkefj

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I saw a posting on FB the other day and it got my mind working. I decided to do a pure R/C 2x upscale using BT-80 tubing, and doing a complete swag on the dimensions/sweep etc just looking at the photos in the Fake Wulf Gallery as I've never had or seen one in person. I tried to keep it under 6 oz, and indoor test glides showed real promise. I wanted to keep the nose/transition for the looks as I really like them. I wound up using openrocket to print a 1.5" long transition from 2.6" to 1.6" on thick photo stock and then cutting the forward part of the body tube into little pointy fingers, about 16 of them so when I slid the transition over the fingers they would center and allow me to glue it to fingers and not have to add the weight of a tube and centering rings. Worked great. I also used the template to cut vinyl wrap to go over the transition after it was installed.

I was a bit worried about wing flex, I went light on the carbon for weight and they did turn out to be a bit floppy, on the 9th flight this morning I overstressed it and bent the wing slightly, so I pulled it off and made a new wing with less dihedral, less wingtip toe in(to reduce pitch up effect) and doubled the spars. Flew great, hands off glide, just touch the ailerons for a turn, no elevator needed, just a slight flare before touchdown. The new wing is a bit heavier so flight weight is 6.5 oz now, glide weight around 6, but you can see glide is very nice. 35" wingspan.

I decided to leave it in the white winter scheme to save weight and hand cut some vinyl trim for markings.

IMG_20220619_113019626.jpg

Ez2cDave

Reaction score
Frank,

Now, THAT is VERY COOL !

Any chance of adding "flaps" to create some undercamber to increase lift and glide duration ?

Dave F.

burkefj

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Frank,

Now, THAT is VERY COOL !

Any chance of adding "flaps" to create some undercamber to increase lift and glide duration ?

Dave F.
I has full span elevons, I don't know what it would do to pitch if I tried to run them as flap/elevons, I already need up elevon for glide due to the CG shift, so I can't really put down flap...The problem is not the glide duration, it is pretty good, the problem is boost altitude due to weight, if I went to a bigger motor it would go higher, but would not be stiff enough and flutter would be an issue and then CG shift would be much worse and glide would suffer, it's just a sport flyer.

Ez2cDave

Reaction score
I has full span elevons, I don't know what it would do to pitch if I tried to run them as flap/elevons, I already need up elevon for glide due to the CG shift, so I can't really put down flap...The problem is not the glide duration, it is pretty good, the problem is boost altitude due to weight, if I went to a bigger motor it would go higher, but would not be stiff enough and flutter would be an issue and then CG shift would be much worse and glide would suffer, it's just a sport flyer.
I was just thinking that it looks capable of a lot more . . . The ability to "work thermals" would be very cool !

Dave F.