Quote? What is your favorite quote?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back to quotes:

"They eat three meals a day in Texas; breakfast, dinner, and supper", Mary Kay Place "Waltz Across Texas"

I've 2 3kv power supplies to repair; I have to wait for my board guy to be available. :) (that's the guy with a 2x4 to beat you loose from the electricity. Seriously.

Our previous model spectrometer had a 7kV 500mA supply. Deadly. You had to discharge it using a plastic wand to ground before touching. It was for a thermionic valve oscillator. The contemporary version is solid-state and uses 200V at 10A. Much safer.

"When in doubt... C4" - Jamie Hyneman

"Jamie wants Big BOOM!!!" - Adam Savage

"There are few problems in this world that can't be solved with the suitable application of high explosives" - Joe King

Last edited:
“I thought I’d discharged that capacitor.” Me, today.
True story:

Back in the 80s, I attended DeKalb Community College, Central Campus. They had a small AM radio station that ran about 5 to 10 watts output into a "leaky coax" laid on the roof of the covered walkways. Could reach across the street on an overcast day. I was the "station engineer." Not that I was qualifie, or anything, just the most geeky of the staff.

96 Rock, WKLS, used to donate equipment/parts, etc. I was rummaging through the box of parts when I came across an electrolytic about the size of a soda can. It had two screw terminals on the top. To see if it was discharged, I held the terminals up to one of the tubular chrome legs of a desk in the lobby of the station. POW! Melted down into the steel of the table leg! I am so glad nobody actually touched the terminals before I discharged it!

The Princess Bride Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

The most valuable thing I have learned from life is to regret nothing.
Life is short, nature is hostile, and man is ridiculous but oddly enough most
misfortunes have their compensations and with a certain humour and a good deal
of horse-sense one can make a fairly good job of what is after all a matter
of very small consequence.

W. Sommerset Maugham

The most valuable thing I have learned from life is to regret nothing.
Life is short, nature is hostile, and man is ridiculous but oddly enough most
misfortunes have their compensations and with a certain humour and a good deal
of horse-sense one can make a fairly good job of what is after all a matter
of very small consequence.

W. Sommerset Maugham
I've always had trouble with the "regret nothing" sentiments of various sorts. I regret the hurt I've caused others. Although those others and I may all forgive me, I will continue to regret it.

I've always had trouble with the "regret nothing" sentiments of various sorts. I regret the hurt I've caused others. Although those others and I may all forgive me, I will continue to regret it.
I hadn't thought of that aspect. I still think think this is an excellent quote because it puts life into context.

Last edited:
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, ‘The Beatles did.’” - Kurt Vonnegut

Back