Quote? What is your favorite quote?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"The truth of our faith becomes a matter of ridicule among the infidels if any Catholic, not gifted with the necessary scientific learning, presents as dogma what scientific scrutiny shows to be false. If our interpretation of scripture seems to contradict an undeniable physical truth, we must reevaluate our interpretation of scripture."

-St. Thomas Aquinas (paraphrased)

"God loves us and wants us to be happy. Beer is proof".

"Lord, bless this creature, beer, which by your kindness and power has been produced from kernels of grain, and let it be a healthful drink for mankind. Grant that whoever drinks it with thanksgiving to your holy name may find it a help in body and in soul; through Christ our Lord."

-Official Catholic blessing for beer

Seriously, it's in the Rituale Romanum. See p.331.

https://sensusfidelium.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Roman-Rite.pdf

"we act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, but all we need to make us happy, is something to be enthusiastic about."

With no risk, there is no adventure.

I'm reminded of an article a read some years back, written by a psychologist about their research. I don't recall the specific point of their study, but I remember that they were surprised and confused by behaviors that contradicted their belief that the fundamental motivator of human activity is the desire for comfort.

Uh, yeah. Right.

Apparently this "expert" psychologist had never known anybody in their life that skied down icy mountains, drilled holes in frozen lakes to fish, ran marathons, or woke up at 5:00 in the morning on a Saturday to drive three hours to stand in a blazing hot desert shooting paper tubes into the sky then walk for an hour in the aforementioned blazing hot desert retrieving said tubes.

"Any coward can sit in his home and criticize a pilot for flying into a mountain in a fog. But I would rather, by far, die on a mountainside than in bed. What kind of man would live where there is no daring? And is life so dear that we should blame men for dying in adventure? Is there a better way to die?"

-Charles Lindbergh

Erwin Rommel

“Be an example to your men, in your duty and in private life. Never spare yourself, and let the troops see that you don't in your endurance of fatigue and privation. Always be tactful and well-mannered and teach your subordinates to do the same. Avoid excessive sharpness or harshness of voice, which usually indicates the man who has shortcomings of his own to hide.”​

― Erwin Rommel

"Revelation therefore introduces into our history a universal and ultimate truth which stirs the human mind to ceaseless effort; indeed, it impels reason continually to extend the range of its knowledge until it senses that it has done all in its power, leaving no stone unturned."

-Pope St. John Paul II

"If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"

-Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, "The Gulag Archipelago"

"Remember, when the greatness comes and you're really tested, when you take some knocks, some disappointments, when sadness comes: because only when you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountains. Always give your best. Never get discouraged. Never be petty. Always remember, others may hate you: those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself."

Richard M Nixon
resignation speech
September 19, 1974

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck.
Robert Heinlein

My grandfather was one who never cussed around us small kids but he made up for it when we got older !
One of his many quotes he would utter when thing were not going right was " it is going from cotton candy to
crap real quick "

My stepmom when she got mad would utter " crap fire and save matches " and with that we kids knew it was time to
make ourselves scarce !!!

Many moons ago when I was in the Army I did a few sport parachute jumps and one day a friend
was talking to me about how dangerous parachuting was to him. I told him I didn't worry as I had some of the
best instructors . He then replied what if your parachute does not open ? I told him We always jumped with 2
parachutes. He then asked me what by chance would I do if the 2nd parachute did not open . I then told him there is an unwritten
rule at jump sites if your 2nd parachute does not open you can take it back to the parachute rigger ( packer ) for a free repack.

He walked away scratching his head and with a grin on my face LOL

I have been reluctant to join in on this, because I couldn't pick just one. Then I realized I was being silly to expect other TEFers to limit themselves to one each, so here are three.

At a moment when TV characters stereotyically say "I don't believe in coincidences":
I believe in coincidences. Coincidences happpn every day. I don't trust coincidencces. -- Elim Garrek

From my father:
Engineering is the art of making things you want out of stuff you can get. -- Jeremiah Avins

And finally:
In theory there's no difference between theory and prctice, but in practice there is. -- Origin uncertain

"People who take the time to ridicule and make fun of and to blaspheme — or whatever they think they are doing — are really in some sense recognizing the genuine, the true and the real."

-Msgr. John Esseff

"People who take the time to ridicule and make fun of and to blaspheme — or whatever they think they are doing — are really in some sense recognizing the genuine, the true and the real."

-Msgr. John Esseff
Can you put this in context or was the next line "OFF WITH HIS HEAD"? Asking for a friend......

Back