Quote? What is your favorite quote?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many of my favorite quotes are from Heinlein. Though he does have some wonky ideas. This isn't one of them:

If you are part of a society that votes, then do so. There may be no measures and no candidates you want to vote for, but there are certain to be ones you want to vote against. When in doubt, vote against. By this rule you will rarely go wrong.

"My uncle says the architects got rid of the front porches because they didn't look well. But my uncle says that was merely rationalizing it; the real reason, hidden underneath, might be they didn't want people sitting like that, doing nothing, rocking, talking; that was the wrong kind of social life. People talked too much. And they had time to think. So they ran off with the porches. And the gardens, too. Not many gardens any more to sit around in. And look at the furniture. No rocking chairs any more. They're too comfortable. Get people up and running around. "~Ray Bradbury

There are hidden contradictions in the minds of people who "love Nature"
while deploring the "artificialities" with which "Man has spoiled 'Nature.'"
The obvious contradiction lies in their choice of words, which imply that Man
and his artifacts are not part of "Nature" - but beavers and their dams are.
But the contradictions go deeper than this prima-facie absurdity. In declaring
his love for a beaver dam (erected by beavers for beaver's purposes) and his
hatred for damns erected by men (for the purposes of men) the "Naturist"
reveals his hatred for his own race -- ie his own self hatred.

--Lazarus Long

Last edited:
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

Favorite Mythbuster's Quotes:

Lard

Quack Damn You!!!

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

*THIS* is why we can never have anything nice...

HOLY CRAP!!! RUN!!!

and

I'm making a rocket out of meat!

Ah, threads like these are great, but then they become very long and the risk of repetition grows, likely in some beautifully simple mathematical expression with lovely Greek symbols... anyway, accepting that increasing risk,

"I love mankind... It's the  people I can't stand!" - Linus van Pelt.

"Don't tell me man doesn't belong out there. Man belongs anywhere he wants to go, and he'll do plenty well when he gets there."

-Wernher von Braun
My favourite WVB quote would probably be:

"Missile reliability will require that the target area be more dangerous than the launch area." - Von Braun
(on his frustrations with the mishaps experienced with the early Redstone Missile development)

1912: "It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds ..." - Theodore Roosevelt

Couple hours after my F-upscale Goblin burned in back in the 70's and I came home with a bag of charred scraps totally dejected....

"....son, look, as much fun as it is? A rocket is just a hole in the sky where you pour your money. Now go wash up for dinner, honey (kiss on the cheek)."

- my mom.

(sorry- edit...power keeps going out here.....)

Come from a long line of boat racers and rocket/guidance people (not that I got any of their smarts) so....the whole "hole in the [thing] where ya pour your $" adage was pretty common at our dinner table....lol

Last edited:
Have a few.......the first two are scary similar. I guess truth transcends cultures...

"It's better to keep your mouth shut, and let them think you a fool than to open it, and remove all doubt".... Abraham Lincoln.

"If you know speak. If you don't then lean on the post, and listen".... old Vietnamese proverb.

Another one from Abraham Lincoln..."You can rejoice because thorn bushes have roses, or lament because rose bushes have thorns".

And who can forget good old Samuel Clemens, aka Mark Twain......"Golf, is a walk wasted"...........= )

Last edited:
Have a few.......the first two are scary similar. I guess truth transcends cultures...

"It's better to keep your mouth shut, and let them think you a fool than to open it and remove all doubt".... Abraham Lincoln.

"If you know speak, if you don't, then lean on the post, and listen".... old Vietnamese proverb.

Another one from Abraham Lincoln..."You can rejoice because thorn bushes have roses, or lament because rose bushes have thorns".

And who can forget good old Samuel Clemens, aka Mark Twain......"Golf, is a walk wasted"...........= )
Another Samuel Clemens quote: "There are three types of lies: Lies, damn lies, and statistics."

We are going to need a bigger boat-Jaws

Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained. For it is the only safeguard of our liberties- Abraham Lincoln

The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan-Von Clauswitz. I have that one taped to the wall over my desk.

"Quite an experience to live in fear isn’t it? That’s what it is to be a slave. I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."

Back