Quote? What is your favorite quote?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
“Badges?! We don’t need no stinking badges!” - a Bandito from Blazing Saddles.
Actually, this quote is a paraphrase from the 1948 film The Treasure of the Sierra Madre which is based on the book of the same name. The 1948 lines were: "Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrón and chinga tu madre!"

My favorite quote is:

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety"
Thomas Jefferson

This quote is actually taken out of context and means something other than what it appears to mean... (Link)

Especially because it was written by Ben Franklin, not Thomas Jefferson.

Jt2NaXe.jpg

"No plan of operations extends with any certainty beyond the first encounter with the main enemy forces."

Or, in perhaps a more familiar paraphrase:

No plan survives first contact with the enemy.

-Prussian Field Marshal Helmuth Karl Bernhard Graf von Moltke, 1871

Read through all the posts, and unless I missed it:

"It is what it is"

No definite origin (but likely J. E. Lawrence in the Nebraska State Journal in 1949), but I got it from my mom. When she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, in the end that was her response. Nothing to do but accept it and move on.

Tony

An optimist looks at the glass and sees it’s half full, a pessimist looks at the glass and sees it’s half empty, a realist looks at the glass and knows dang well they’re gonna get stuck washing it.

Sometimes the best you can do is the least wrong answer.

This all makes sense, to somebody, somewhere…

Back