3D Printing Quit printing right for no real reason >:(

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug Holverson

Reaction score
Somebody, please tell me what's going on with my CR10-s5? It's set up like it always was, but all of a sudden nothing sticks to the plate. Everything turns into a mess of string. It is adjusted in with a folded paper gap with 185° extruder and 55° on the bed. I'm printing PLA with 200° extruder and 50° per Cura default. There's Elmer's Glue Stick on the glass.

Buy your self a PEI sheet. Stick it on your bed and never look back. Tried glue, hair spray, BuildTek... none of them worked like PEI. There is nothing fancy about it, it just works!

Ok... with the materials at hand:

1) Wipe the build surface with rubbing alcohol to clean any grime or oils of off it.
2) Are you keeping your filament dry? I store mine in an air tight box with desiccant. PLA loves to soak up room moisture. If the roll has been out of the package long enough or if the humidity is up, you can have problems.
3) Is the first layer sticking well? Stop a print and check it hot. If the first layer is good, then we can look at other areas.

Check your nozzle height off the table as well as the other things suggested. I set mine with a feeler gauge to .2 mm.
Not sure if the CR-10s5 has the same features as the pro but mine will allow Z adjustment while printing. Sometimes a little fine tuning is necessary (usually only .05 mm or so) during the first layer to ensure good adhesion.

Nozzle height. Give each knob a 1/4 turn to raise the bed up a bit, then try again.

Nozzle height. Give each knob a 1/4 turn to raise the bed up a bit, then try again.

Seconded.
Is your PLA dry? How do you store it?

Seconded. I keep my PLA spool on the printer and often don't need to print anything for long periods of time. I cover it, but it's not air tight. I don't live in a high humidity environment, but I've found that the old temp setting doesn't allow as good of bed adhesion until several outer layers of filament on the spool are used up, so I increase it by 10C temporarily. The moisture issue is not otherwise evident as I've seen in videos of wet PLA printing. I can print the next day and the older lower temp then works just fine.

Latest posts

Back