Quikshade parts - hard to get, but cheap!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mparker59

Reaction score
Most of us have "ez-up" style canopies and most of us have broken one or seen one broken. I have a QuikShade W100 that I got at a sporting goods store and it had a pretty hard time with the big winds at Mudrock this year. The sides deflected so far that a bolt bent and pulled the nut through the end of the hollow steel tube.

So, I did some looking around to decide what to do next. The high end EZ-Up brand ones have an extra brace that prevents wind from bending in the side braces - but they cost 4 times as much as the Quick Shade ones and probably don't last 4 times as long. There are a zillion choices of brand, size, etc.

I was under the impression that you could not get repair parts for the QuikShade - they certainly don't offer the convenience of web shopping for them. But I called them this AM, waited on hold for 20 minutes, got a person who wanted me to describe which parts I needed (a numbered diagram on the web seems SO logical). Ordered twice as much of everything as I need - two new bars for the side, two new shoulder bolts, and four end caps and the total came to $18 and I should have the parts by the end of the week.

Pretty interesting if you ask me. I'm tempted to get a whole box full of QuikShade parts and go around selling them at launches for a profitable markup. Bet I'd make a killing.

I've also been tempted to manufacture and sell stiffeners - a machined aluminum insert that fills the end of the hollow tube so that wind forces can't crush the tube and pull the bolt through. What would you pay for parts to strengthen your shade?

Mike

I just fixed one also. Mine had a bad run in with the wind during a scout camp, so it's not just rocket launches that do these in. The wind snapped two of the supports on the side where the bolts go through. I just called the support number, went out and gave them the numbers on the Quickshade, and they shipped it right out.

It's not quite as good as new, but it was easy to fix, and cheap. I think it was about $8, far better than another $90 or so for a new one at Home Depot. I’d suggest that if you call, you have the Quickshade handy so you can give them the right numbers. I had to run out to the garage quick while I had them on the line.

As a bonus, I'm using part of the mailing tube the parts came in for a Crayon rocket. :)

As a bonus, I'm using part of the mailing tube the parts came in for a Crayon rocket. :)

By George, you're right! Repair parts for Quikshades come with a free rocket body - could they possibly know about us?

It's interesting to note that the new bars come with plastic filler sin the ends so that they can't crush and pull through - a design improvement. Makes me wonder if I could get enough of them to do the whole frame.

Mike

markup. Bet I'd make a killing.

I've also been tempted to manufacture and sell stiffeners - a machined aluminum insert that fills the end of the hollow tube so that wind forces can't crush the tube and pull the bolt through. What would you pay for parts to strengthen your shade?

Mike

That's exactly how I fixed mine, except I used a steel insert, not aluminum(which seemed too soft for the job). I had to grind the edges of the steel bar so it was small enough to fit inside the hollow tube, but it worked pretty well in the end. I also used a few self tapping screws to secure the hollow tube to the steel bar inside(on either side of the pivot point), then drilled a hole for the pivot bolt.

Congrats on getting the parts. Feels great when you can salvage something and fix 'er up like new again. It's rare in today's "throw away society" that someone will go through the effort of making a repair like that. But, I suspect we'll see people being more resourceful and less wasteful with the economy the way it is. So, kudos.

That's exactly how I fixed mine, except I used a steel insert, not aluminum(which seemed too soft for the job). I had to grind the edges of the steel bar so it was small enough to fit inside the hollow tube, but it worked pretty well in the end. I also used a few self tapping screws to secure the hollow tube to the steel bar inside(on either side of the pivot point), then drilled a hole for the pivot bolt.

Congrats on getting the parts. Feels great when you can salvage something and fix 'er up like new again. It's rare in today's "throw away society" that someone will go through the effort of making a repair like that. But, I suspect we'll see people being more resourceful and less wasteful with the economy the way it is. So, kudos.

I used 1/4" x 3/4" oak strips inside the tubing to repair ends and tubes broken at the center screws.

But I need to get some tubes that need to be replaced, OS measurements 3/8" x 7/8" x 40" (actually 39" L) with 1/16" walls. Not the oval ones, but the rectangular ones. I have an EZ Up 10' x 10'. Any ideas?

Bob

Last edited:
FWIW over the past few years I have gone through at least 10 ez-ups. A few guys that I race with had the Eurmax canopies, and they held up in a dust storm. Honestly this is the only way to go. I got mine a few months ago, it's crazy strong and robust. I use 20in steel spikes and ratchet straps to hold each corner down.

FWIW over the past few years I have gone through at least 10 ez-ups. A few guys that I race with had the Eurmax canopies, and they held up in a dust storm. Honestly this is the only way to go. I got mine a few months ago, it's crazy strong and robust. I use 20in steel spikes and ratchet straps to hold each corner down.

Thanks, Rob, I will consider that.

Latest posts

Back