Quickburts "Twiggy" igniters

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fore Check

Reaction score
Has anyone used the Quickburst Twiggys to cluster a pair of AT F21 econojets?

From what I read, Crapperheads won't work for that....

I have sucessfuly lit two f21s with the aerotech firstfire jr igniters twice. They were both instant with a big battery.

Originally posted by Fore Check
Has anyone used the Quickburst Twiggys to cluster a pair of AT F21 econojets?

From what I read, Crapperheads won't work for that....

Where did you read that?

Using a regular 12 volt motorcycle battery launching system one can reliably light up to three Twigs. If you use a few NiCad battery packs to get a higher amperage, you can do more than that. Although, you may have to give the Twiggys a little scraping with an Exacto to get them to fit in the F21 nozzel. Another thing to remember is that David at Quickburst will custom make you an igniter to your specs usually for no extra charge. I have some that have higher resistance (and therefore require less amps) because they use a bridge of 30 gauge nichrome instead of a wrap. I also have some that have even higher resistance as they have a wrap of 36 gauge. Also you could get Magnalite kit. I have had good luck using those for clustering. Many options.

Originally posted by DynaSoar
Where did you read that?

Aerotech themselves recommend that Copperhead igniters are not used for clustering. It's printed in the RMS instructions in the baby blue or flourescent yellow inserts they include with the reload kits. If it's in there I'm sure it's in the SU and Econojet line of motors.

Not that this is official, but here is an excerpt from ROL's InfoCentral:

"Copperhead igniters are sold by Aerotech, and provided with Aerotech motors. They are available in sizes to match all motors manufactured by Aerotech. They require 12 volts. These igniters are not recommended for clusters or electronically controlled air starts due to the amount of electricity needed to fire them. Folding or bending the igniters may render them unreliable."

Originally posted by eugenefl
"Folding or bending the igniters may render them unreliable."
What has always amused me is that they come shipped folded and bent! :rolleyes:

Back