Quick source for custom centering rings?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray Dunakin

Reaction score
Help! I need some custom plywood centering rings in a hurry. They need to have an outside diameter of 1.8", and the inside diameter needs to fit a standard LOC 29mm motor tube. Anyone know where I could get these made up fast?

I had some put away for this project months ago and now I can't find 'em. They'll turn up eventually but by then it'll be too late. Grr!

There is someone here that could get you them , a member of the TARC team IIRC? If all else fails send me a PM and I will make you them despite living in the UK.
Karl

Those sound like standard 29mm mount rings to fit an Aerotech tube.

Totally Tubular has them in stock, in both lite ply and fiber. They are listed as part number "CR-50/52-1.88f" (fiber) or "CR-50/52-1.88p" (lite ply). They are modular - you can punch them out for 29mm mount or 24mm mount. They have an OD of 1.798" and an ID of 0.978/1.25

Or, if those aren't what you're looking for, BMS can make you some to your exact specifications in a variety of materials.

Perhaps there is someone who carries Aerotech replacement parts? This sounds like a pretty standard Aerotech ring.

Paid very early this morning, will cut and ship on Monday.
Thanks you all for spreading the word!

Ray,

Not to discount the work or value that Matthew's products have, but for future reference, talk to Andy Woerner, here in town. He custom cut some new centering rings for one of my rockets right there on the spot in his garage.

WW

I got the centering rings from www.rocketguts.com and they did a great job! They worked with me to get exactly what I needed, when I needed it, and even caught a measurement error I'd made. Excellent service and products -- I highly recommend www.rocketguts.com!

Originally posted by wwattles
Ray,

Not to discount the work or value that Matthew's products have, but for future reference, talk to Andy Woerner, here in town. He custom cut some new centering rings for one of my rockets right there on the spot in his garage.

WW

Yeah, Andy's a great guy and he's made rings and other parts for me on several occasions. In this case, I wasn't sure when I would get a chance to go over there. Plus, I know he's been pretty busy lately so I didn't want to add to his workload.

I sent rocketguts an email a week ago and never got a response, BUT I'm CERTAIN it's not their laxity. Email from my ISP seems to be on the "s**t list" at AOL.

I'm interested in:

7.5" ID(PML) x 98mm (LOC motor tube=4.05" OD): 3
7.5" ID(PML) x 6" (PML motor tube =6.01" ID): 3
6.01" ID(PML) x 98mm (LOC motor tube=4.05"): 3
5.38"ID (LOC) x 75mm (LOC motor tube=3.15" OD): 3
2.15" ID (PML) x 29mm (PML motor tube=1.25" OD?): 6
2.15" ID (PML) x 38mm (LOC motor tube=1.60" OD): 3
1.50" ID (LOC MMT) x 29mm (PML motor tube=1.25" OD?): 6

The LOC MMTs' OD's are a couple hundredths tighter than their published specs (I peel one layer of glassine off them for a killer bond.)

Send info to: [email protected]

Note: For several projects-to-be and several more for "beater rockets" (for EX flights/new electronics/etc.)

Yes, we have had many customers saying they have never got a reply from us... And trust me, I check our email almost every hour!

Evil Prince, I just sent you an email.

Hopefully we will be able to solve this email issue soon.

Thanks.

Naaaah, not on my end. Apparently, there are spam houses that operate (albeit temporarily) from NYC RR. So be it...

What did I just do? Sent you an email!!! Am I asleep at the wheel or what?

Sorry about that. How's this:

7.5" ID(PML) x 98mm (LOC motor tube=4.05" OD): 3 1/2"
7.5" ID(PML) x 6" (PML motor tube =6.01" ID): 3 1/2"
6.01" ID(PML) x 98mm (LOC motor tube=4.05"): 3 1/2"
5.38"ID (LOC) x 75mm (LOC motor tube=3.15" OD): 3 1/2"
2.15" ID (PML) x 29mm (PML motor tube=1.25" OD?): 6 3/16"
2.15" ID (PML) x 38mm (LOC motor tube=1.60" OD): 3 3/16"
1.50" ID (LOC MMT) x 29mm (PML motor tube=1.25" OD?): 6 3/16"

Again, sorry about the omission.

You can email me the quote. Thanks again, Matt...

Remember to add .006" to all those numbers for a smooth, yet still tight, fit!

Jason

Back