Quick scratch build for CTI Pro24 motors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxvelocity

Reaction score
I have been wanting to fly some of the CTI 24mm F motors but didn't really have a rocket for them so this week I built a little rocket perfect for these motors and I will fly it at tomorrow's TCC launch. I am calling it The Speed of Paper since the rocket is made from all paper components that I had laying around. I don't know how fast these components can go while still holding together so I guess we will find out. The tubes and coupler are LOC and the nosecone was robbed from a LOC mini Lil Nuke kit. The fins are carbon fiber so I can rule out shredding balsa fins. The fins were filleted with Rocketpoxy. Everything else was done with 5 min. to speed up the build. I wanted to keep this rocket as a fairly simple flyer so while I originally planned to use electronic deployment I later decided against the headache of prep and will just use motor deploy so I can just stick the motor in and fly with the longest delay. For this weekend the payload will consist of a BRB transmitter, which I have not yet flown and have been wanting to to test how well it works for tracking, and a How High altimeter to hopefully give me some idea of high the rocket got to. Sims show the longest delays will be a little short for most Pro24 motors but that's something I can live with. I first plan to fly it on an F51 Classic which sims to 6,470 and mach .99 and if it lives through that which I think it should I will then fly it on the F50 Skidmark motor which sims to 5,389 and mach .84 and should be a cool noisy little flight. The rocket will come down on the smallest streamer Jack (What's Up Hobbies) sells. I painted this one florescent orange to help me find it, last month the field we flew in was full of approx. 18" tall alfalfa and although I almost immediately got a great bead on where my rocket was it took almost 2 hours to actually find it. Turned out we were right on top of it the entire time, and I knew we were, but the little all black rocket just didn't stand out at all. This should solve that. I also wrapped a 2" band of chrome monokote around the payload and on one fin, in case I am actually able to visually track the smoke trail to apogee the flash might give me a chance to follow it down. This has worked very well for me before but on larger airframes. The Speed of Paper 24.jpgThe Speed of Paper 24 #2.jpgThe Speed of Paper 24 #3.jpg

LOC tube and carbon fins - it will survive any F motor you choose, including the F240. It will probably survive any of the 6G motors. My balsa and cardstock saucer survived a F240 and went a lot higher than I thought it would.

It survived the flight (F51) but did not survive the landing. It landed in a really hard field and broke a fillet so it only flew once. I was test fitting the altimeter into the payload and once I got it in there I just closed it up and flew, but never turned on the altimeter. So no altitude but I bet it got very close to rocksim because it flew perfectly straight up no wiggle. I will repair it and fly it again some other time. Cool little project turned out to be fun for a few bucks.

It's impressive that you got this small a rocket back from this altitude.

Ari.

Back