Quick questions on 29 motor case package

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Wildman is selling the following.

https://wildmanrocketry.com/collections/29mm/products/2918sc

My question is if I was to buy this motor case package, that would eliminate the need for the smaller cases 29/100 and 29/120 because it provides the spacers for these sizes correct? Yes I already have a 29/240 case and closures, so looking for a purchase to wrap everything up and cover all the motor ranges.

Also included in the package is the 29RAS

https://wildmanrocketry.com/collections/29mm/products/29ras

What does it mean by "Floating Forward Closure" and would you only use the closure when flying one of the cases when the spacers are being used?

Thank you!!

The floating closure can be used without the spacers. I'm pretty sure at one time AT envisioned people replacing their standard forward closures with the floating one which would allow you to use the spacers or not depending on your needs.

The floating closure can be used without the spacers. I'm pretty sure at one time AT envisioned people replacing their standard forward closures with the floating one which would allow you to use the spacers or not depending on your needs.

Exactly this, FFC works for everything essentially, see it in use below, video is 38mm but same concept for 29mm

so basically purchasing the RAS kit will accommodate the other sizes because of the spacers included correct? If so I would still get an extra FCO to allow the preparation of two motors.

so basically purchasing the RAS kit will accommodate the other sizes because of the spacers included correct? If so I would still get an extra FCO to allow the preparation of two motors.

It's confusing, this is the way I understand it:

With your existing 29/240 case and rear closure, purchasing the RAS alone would allow you to fly 29/180 and 29/120 reloads.

Actual Case Size N-sAdapts to this size reload
Standardwith 1 spacerwith 2 spacers
29/18029/120N/A
29/24029/18029/120
29/36029/24029/180

The RAS includes a floating front closure system instead of a standard single-piece front closure. They are interchangeable.

The parts in the sale linked above would allow you to fly the 29/360 reloads, in addition to loading two motors at once. If you already have a complete 29/240 motor now, the only additional part you would need is a second 29FSD seal disk, used in certain reloads.

It's confusing, this is the way I understand it:

With your existing 29/240 case and rear closure, purchasing the RAS alone would allow you to fly 29/180 and 29/120 reloads.

Actual Case Size N-sAdapts to this size reload
Standardwith 1 spacerwith 2 spacers
29/36029/24029/180
The 29/360 is a 6 grain motor. It requires 2 spacers for a 29/240 (4 grain) a 29/180 would require 3 spacers. It works but is not certified.

The 29/360 is a 6 grain motor. It requires 2 spacers for a 29/240 (4 grain) a 29/180 would require 3 spacers. It works but is not certified.

Hey Tom,

Thanks for the clarification. The 29mm adapter system comes with 3 spacers, two standard and one extended. Documentation is minimal on these things, it appears that the extended spacer is for the 360 case, is that correct?

Hey Tom,

Thanks for the clarification. The 29mm adapter system comes with 3 spacers, two standard and one extended. Documentation is minimal on these things, it appears that the extended spacer is for the 360 case, is that correct?
If the extended spacer is twice the length of the other spacers, then it will convert a 360 to a 240. Then a regular spacer in addition will be a 180. This would be certified. I haven't used spacers in the Aerotech system as I don't like the idea of putting an o ring where propellant residue from longer motors would go. It is almost impossible to get all the crud out way down in the case. I don't even have the RAS, just the standard closures.

Wildman is selling the following.

https://wildmanrocketry.com/collections/29mm/products/2918sc

My question is if I was to buy this motor case package, that would eliminate the need for the smaller cases 29/100 and 29/120 because it provides the spacers for these sizes correct?

Thank you!!

No . You cannot fly the 29/100 motor using the RAS system . It needs its own case . The G104 is worth the extra case. The RAS will take a 180ns case and cover the 120ns motors and the 60ns motors. Each grain is roughly 60ns.

Latest posts

Back