Quick, call the cops! It"s a SCIENCE PROJECT!!!!!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCE to AUX

Reaction score
So the government says that we need to get more kids interested in science/technology--what better way to do that than TREATING THEM LIKE CRIMINALS when they show any aptitude/interest in such things...

https://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/jan/15/students-evacuated-school-chollas-view/

I just LOVE this quote:

The student will not be prosecuted, but authorities were recommending that he and his parents get counseling, the spokesman said. The student violated school policies, but there was no criminal intent, Luque said.

He won't be prosecuted, how utterly freaking nice of them! But he should get "counseling" to make sure that any spark of creativity is stamped right out. A student at a TECH school building his own electronics? SURE sign of a troubled mind...:rolleyes:

Maybe we all need to start putting warning labels on our rockets?

522-1.png

The school, which has about 440 students in grades 6 to 8 and emphasizes technology skills, was initially put on lockdown while authorities responded.

A vice principal saw the student showing it to other students at school about 11:40 a.m. Friday and was concerned that it might be harmful, and San Diego police were notified.

So in a school that TEACHES technology, a kid builds a project that actually uses... technology. And the Vice Principal doesn't think to ASK the kid what it is or have one of the electronics teachers look at it first? His first response is to call the cops?

Hello? I think they are persecuting the wrong person here.

Hello? I think they are persecuting the wrong person here.

Maybe the vice-principal could use some "counseling", as well. It sounds like he suffers from excessive paranoia. Does he regularly call the cops to check for IEDs disguised as discarded TVs or computers at the curb?

Isn't it wonderful how, even once the device was shown to be harmless, the cops still felt compelled to SEARCH THE KID'S HOUSE, just to "make sure". The parents are probably now on a terrorist watchlist, as well as a CPS surveillance list.

Crap like this is one of the main reasons we homeschool our kid...

Last edited:
Well, what the hell...we've already exported our industrial base.

Just get used to having the Chinese and Indians provide all our future technologies.

Last edited:
Wow, I would have been in a lot of trouble in school these days if I brought what I had made for science class back in the mid-60s. :y:

With the help from my dad, we built an internal combustion powered cork gun. It would shoot a 3/4" rubber lab cork at 40' to the back of the science classroom. Science teacher liked it so much he gave me an A+ for the project. We were studying the principles of the internal combustion engine at the time.

I used to carry water bombs in my school bag, someone go tell on me.

With all the "social engineering" and PC crap going on in society these days, I feel sorry for the human beings of the future.Right now, I just feel embarressed.

Major FACE PALM !!

Paul (proud to be old school)

I am surprised he did'nt call the BATF. So they could take it and "neutralize" it with a pound of C4:roll:

Last edited:
A "technological" science project violates a "technology" school's policy. It sounds to me like the very existence of the school is a violation of its own policy. :eyepop:

This makes me very very glad I got into rocketry *after* the days of show and tell.... :y:

Wow. But this comes as little surprise. If Columbine High School and 9/11 happened before I was in the 3rd through 8th grades, I'd still be in lockup.

I am reporting you the zee authorities! You must be homeschooling your kids to teach them radical anti-government ideas. Your home must be zearched and you vill be put on a vatch list vor the rest of your life!

So in a school that TEACHES technology, a kid builds a project that actually uses... technology. And the Vice Principal doesn't think to ASK the kid what it is or have one of the electronics teachers look at it first? His first response is to call the cops?

If the school is anything like the "technology" schools over here, all it means is they have a lot of computers and teach the kids how to use Microsoft Office, nothing more. :rolleyes:

Wow. But this comes as little surprise. If Columbine High School and 9/11 happened before I was in the 3rd through 8th grades, I'd still be in lockup.

And if Heathkit was still around, they'd be shut down for inciting terrorism or some such.

Heck, we used to make nun-chucks in woodshop and sell them at flea markets.

I could only imagine what would happen if someone did that now...

Maybe the vice-principal could use some "counseling", as well. It sounds like he suffers from excessive paranoia. Does he regularly call the cops to check for IEDs disguised as discarded TVs or computers at the curb?

Isn't it wonderful how, even once the device was shown to be harmless, the cops still felt compelled to SEARCH THE KID'S HOUSE, just to "make sure". The parents are probably now on a terrorist watchlist, as well as a CPS surveillance list.

Yeah, my wife and I both work in the public schools... I'm just a bus driver, she's an actual teacher, but we see enough of the monkey show every day to realize how truly screwed up public education is.

Depending on what district my wife is employed with, we are seriously contemplating homeschooling our 5 year old daughter...

Heck, we're already basically homeschooling her... she speaks ENGLISH and actually knows who her father is and lives in the same house with both his happily married parents, who are NOT on public assistance, and so she is TOTALLY INELIGIBLE to attend pre-K... so she and I do a few pages in a workbook for awhile each day and she's already reading, more or less (reading some words, sounding everything else out), counting, doing arithmetic (in a second-grade workbook no less!) and learning science.

The public school system is getting to be a bad and very expensive joke...

God bless the homeschoolers! OL JR :)

more than most folks realize... JMHO with all respect! OL JR :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Isnt it amazing how based on one newspaper article we all know all about this situation and everything that happenned so we can start attacking this school. Then lets drag in every public school in the North America and start in on them. Thats what I call reasoned debate.

Based on this article and , vague generalizations and less then complete knowledge you decided to home school your child ? Okay.

Well, what the hell...we've already exported our industrial base.

Just get used to having the Chinese and Indians provide all our future tehnologies.

Actually MIT turns out the odd designer now and again:) I really beleive that creativity and the folks who provide are not in any shortage in the US or any other modern western country. We dont hold a monopoly but we still produce our share:)
Cheers
fred

With all the "social engineering" and PC crap going on in society these days, I feel sorry for the human beings of the future.Right now, I just feel embarressed.

Major FACE PALM !!

Paul (proud to be old school)

I woud strongly urge you not to be embarrased as you had nothing to do with this situation. I think our schools although underfinanced ,over burdened and largely underapreciated will continue to turn out good hard working folks. It never ceases to amaze me how in our local schools teachers are forced to teach personals codes of behaviour with the only time many parents taking any interest being when their child gets in trouble.
I wish our schools could concentrate on learning acedemics as opposed to having to raise children when parents will not take the time because they cannot or will not. I would strongly urge those who have problem schools to volunteer to help at the school and urge change. Up here it can work and we are no better then you.
Cheers
Fred

Yeah, my wife and I both work in the public schools... I'm just a bus driver, she's an actual teacher, but we see enough of the monkey show every day to realize how truly screwed up public education is.

Depending on what district my wife is employed with, we are seriously contemplating homeschooling our 5 year old daughter...

Heck, we're already basically homeschooling her... she speaks ENGLISH and actually knows who her father is and lives in the same house with both his happily married parents, who are NOT on public assistance, and so she is TOTALLY INELIGIBLE to attend pre-K... so she and I do a few pages in a workbook for awhile each day and she's already reading, more or less (reading some words, sounding everything else out), counting, doing arithmetic (in a second-grade workbook no less!) and learning science.

The public school system is getting to be a bad and very expensive joke...

God bless the homeschoolers! OL JR :)

more than most folks realize... JMHO with all respect! OL JR :)

Hi Luke,
I have a few questions:)
1.)whats "the monkey show"
2.)What does your daughter speaking english have to do with what you are saying?
3.)Is there something wrong with being a single parent in your view?
4.)Are you saying children in a family on social assistance should be banned from pre k classes? I assume this is to help them break the cycle of poverty somehow?
I am glad you are doing well with your daughter. She sounds well looked after:) I would say God bless all who struggle to bring up their children as best they can irregardless of where they learn, what they speak, or their economic circumstances.
Cheers
fred

So, all we really know from the news story is:

1. A kid brings a device to school that consists of a canister and electronic circuitry.

2. Authorities are called to examine the device; after talking to the student, they decide to evacuate the school.

3. After determining the device is harmless, they decide no charges should be filed, but suggest that the family should get counseling.

That's all we know. We don't know what the kid said to the authorities, but the conversation prompted a full evacuation and the bomb squad was called. Put that together with the recommendation for counseling, and I suggest that it just might be possible that we're not getting the full story about the kid.

Furthermore, the school says he violated school policies, so there is at least the chance that he didn't tell anyone he was bringing it, or get permission to do so.

However, I suppose we should not let a lack of information get in the way of ridiculing a school.

Let's watch the tone of our comments a bit, eh, folks? Especially in regards to comments directed at other members of this forum -- they are as entitled to their opinions as you are to yours.

-Kevin

Based on this article and , vague generalizations and less then complete knowledge you decided to home school your child ? Okay.

Obviously, we have been homeschooling since long before this incident, Fred. This article simply provided yet another example of one major reason why the numbers of homeschoolers are growing.

Over-reactions, paranoia, and "zero-tolerance" policies are turning our public schools into armed camps, where control and forced submission are held to be more important than learning and creativity.

BTW, Fred, I reported your post as a personal attack on me. Now we can see if moderators are going to be held to the same behavior standards as you enforce on the rest of us...

It sure has changed since the times when I was in 7th and 8th grade and participated in the school's rifle club. I even got permission to bring my own .22 in to school to take to the club meeting to have my coach help me sight it in better. And the rifle range was in the basement of the elementary school...imagine that.

It sure has changed since the times when I was in 7th and 8th grade and participated in the school's rifle club. I even got permission to bring my own .22 in to school to take to the club meeting to have my coach help me sight it in better. And the rifle range was in the basement of the elementary school...imagine that.
The key here is that you got permission. From the article, there is no indication that this kid had done that.

Back