CAD Software Quick and Easy Method to Make a Hollow Nose Cone in TinkerCad.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
I have found a quick and easy method to make a nose cone from Rocksim and TinkerCad.

1. Open the file with the nose cone desired in RockSim.
  2. In the Components, choose the nosecone and open the nosecone to the edit screen.Screenshot 2023-02-27 at 2.56.39 PM.png
  3. Click on export and choose to save it as an STL file. I save it under very high resolution.
  4. Import the STL file into TinkerCad. Screenshot 2023-02-27 at 3.04.29 PM.png
  5. Make a copy of the nose cone. Make the copy a hole (invisible or subtractive). Screenshot 2023-02-27 at 3.05.07 PM.png
  6. Make the hole copy smaller than your original copy.
  7. Center the copy on the X and Y Axis but keep it at the bottom of your Z axis. Screenshot 2023-02-27 at 3.07.40 PM.png
  8. Merge the two copies.
Now you have a hollow nose cone.

Last edited:
I would add to Chucks advice -- I recommend that you make your cut-out specific multiples your wall thickness smaller. For example, 2.5mm smaller is very close to 3x .4mm walls x2 sides (extrusion width is usually a little more than .4mm so you can make that number exactly match the number of walls you want to achieve). Also be sure to make things both smaller in X/Y and also smaller in Z direction (consider your geometry in deciding how thin to make top and can check "Assure Vertical Shell Thickness" to be sure that flat / stubby noses print well).

Also, if you turn your cutout into a solid you can cut things out of it before you make it a cutout. For example, you could decide to make the top 30mm solid by cutting the top 30mm off the cutout before combining with the solid NC part.

I'd also pay attention to the section at the step-down in diameter where the base of the cone meets the shoulder. If you keep the bases of the shoulders aligned, you'll be pulling the negative shoulder downward toward the positive shoulder, when you probably want the negative shoulder to be higher than the positive one.

I'd also pay attention to the section at the step-down in diameter where the base of the cone meets the shoulder. If you keep the bases of the shoulders aligned, you'll be pulling the negative shoulder downward toward the positive shoulder, when you probably want the negative shoulder to be higher than the positive one.

If you put a 45 degree bevel between the NC and shoulder you can print without supports (actually winds up being much cleaner in my experience than using supports on a 90 degree edge) and it will assure you do not cut through between shoulder and NC.

I am not sure this has been an issue with any of the nose cones I have printed.

I've been using the FreeCad Rocket Workbench (David Carter). Use the specs from Rocksim to enter into Freecad and then export. I send my stuff out to get 3D printed, easy peasey. Works like a charm. I've also done cluster centering rings with the workbench and custom motor retainers for said clusters. Works great.

Back