Queston on staging - gap between motors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRobinsonUSAF

Reaction score
What would be considered the largest acceptable gap between the top end of a “D” booster motor and the nozzle of a “D” sustainer nozzle to ensure ignition. I am looking at a scale/semi-scale two stager that, if built to specs, would leave a 3 inch gap between the two motors. Is this wishful thinking, or would I be able to get second stage ignition?

I have a rocket with an 8" gap between. Use a small vent hole near the second stage to prevent separation from the pressure. 3" should be no problem.

What would be considered the largest acceptable gap between the top end of a “D” booster motor and the nozzle of a “D” sustainer nozzle to ensure ignition. I am looking at a scale/semi-scale two stager that, if built to specs, would leave a 3 inch gap between the two motors. Is this wishful thinking, or would I be able to get second stage ignition?

Gap staging can be reliably done up to 10", its a good idea to put a vent port near the upper motor to prevent early seperation. I have successfully gap staged 8" with zero failures over the 10 or so flights with my rocket that uses it.

Are you talking about a 3" gap with nothing in between, or a 3" gap that allows for some sort of tubing to direct the hot gas and particles from the booster to the sustainer?
What's the prototype?

kj

Are you talking about a 3" gap with nothing in between, or a 3" gap that allows for some sort of tubing to direct the hot gas and particles from the booster to the sustainer?
What's the prototype?

kj

The gap would be within a tube the same size as the motor (BT-50), between the top of the booster and the nozzle of the sustainer.

JR

Yes that will work fine. As others have said, put a hole in the top of the connecting tube, just below the bottom of the upper stage motor.

kj

Back