Questions on GPS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yukon@K-9 Rocket Tech

Student, Drone and Rockets, Aspiring Engineer
Reaction score
I'm designing some TVC flight computers which I wish to add GPS features onto. The GPS is for data logging and recovery and not for any kind of guidance. All stabilization will be done via the IMU to keep it flying straight up and nothing else. Of course, I don't expect legal advice or am asking for any, but assuming most people are well educated on it far more than me, I have some questions about it. Since GPS has been used on rockets forever now for recovery, is this fine? Or is it possible for me to get into trouble just because "it possibly could utilize the GPS with a change in code"? Seeing people fly Ardupilot on their rockets just for recovery, I assumed it would be fine. Anyway thanks for any information

Hi Yukon. I am not a lawyer but I think you will be fine adding the GPS to your avionics. As you point out there is Ardupilot, Cleanflight and Betaflight platforms which do similar things, including running the drones or fixed-wings on autopilot around waypoints. Many rocket products already log or transmit position during flight so yours will work within the same rule framework.

Hi Yukon. I am not a lawyer but I think you will be fine adding the GPS to your avionics. As you point out there is Ardupilot, Cleanflight and Betaflight platforms which do similar things, including running the drones or fixed-wings on autopilot around waypoints. Many rocket products already log or transmit position during flight so yours will work within the same rule framework.
Hmm good point and thank you! I'll try asking more people, but I think your right and it'll be fine

Back