Questions on Eggtimer Quark assembly (thru-hole components; schematics)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kelly

Usually remembers to get the pointy end up
Reaction score
Putting together a couple Quarks, and the instructions say that all through-hole components need to be installed on the same side of the board, and that if you choose top-side installation, you can't use a screw terminal block, therefore need to solder deployment wires right to the board. If you choose all bottom side, then you can use the terminal block.

But looking at the components, I don't understand any of these limitations:
1) Why do I need to choose bottom-side installation in order to use a terminal block? The components all seem to fit, regardless of which side I choose.
2) Why do they all need to go on the same side of the board? I don't have any reason to distribute them randomly, but since they all seem to fit either way, I'm thinking there must be something going on which I don't quite understand.

I'm not 100% sure on the specifics of how I'm going to use these boards yet, so I don't want to solder myself into any limitations.

Also, are schematics available for eggtimer kits? This is my second one, and the second time I've found it would be helpful to have a schematic to consult during assembly.

Put everything on one side. Including the screw terminal blocks. In the one picture with three quarks, the one on the left is done for the instructions with the thru hole Parts on the other side. I don't build them like that anymore. The only one issue with putting everything on one side, is the short buzzer lead only sit flush in the board and doesn't protrude through. But you can still solder it in. I clip the leads very short on everything else and double-sided tape holds it to the sled very nice.1220191108.jpg0924191217.jpg0918181032.jpg

Putting together a couple Quarks, and the instructions say that all through-hole components need to be installed on the same side of the board, and that if you choose top-side installation, you can't use a screw terminal block, therefore need to solder deployment wires right to the board. If you choose all bottom side, then you can use the terminal block.

But looking at the components, I don't understand any of these limitations:
1) Why do I need to choose bottom-side installation in order to use a terminal block? The components all seem to fit, regardless of which side I choose.
2) Why do they all need to go on the same side of the board? I don't have any reason to distribute them randomly, but since they all seem to fit either way, I'm thinking there must be something going on which I don't quite understand.

I'm not 100% sure on the specifics of how I'm going to use these boards yet, so I don't want to solder myself into any limitations.

Also, are schematics available for eggtimer kits? This is my second one, and the second time I've found it would be helpful to have a schematic to consult during assembly.
I’ve never built one of these, so take my answer for what it’s worth.

Electrons don’t care which side of the board they flow to, so electrically it doesn’t matter. For semiconductors such as transistors, or polarized devices such as diodes or certain types of capacitors, you need to make sure the leads go to the correct holes. That said there may be mechanical constraints to consider, but if the instructions say it’s okay to install all components top side or bottom side, I can’t imagine that would be the case.

The board was enlarged by .050" a few years ago so that a terminal block would fit on the "top" side without running into the optoisolator leads (which was the original issue with putting it there). Almost everyone puts all of the through-hole parts on the top side with the SMT components, although you CAN put them on the bottom (it's silkscreened for either way). I think putting them on the bottom makes the board look cleaner, but that's just my opinion.

Thanks, Chris! That gives me more flexibility.
Have you thought about publishing schematics for these? I was wondering if I had created a solder bridge on this; after staring a while and removing some solder I concluded it was just an extended land. But a quick glance at a schematic could have confirmed it more quickly.

Back