3D Printing Questions from an absolute beginner

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvanc

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all-

I want to get into using an external printhouse to print from files I create. I'm beginning with a simple piece that is small (less than 2"). This brings me to 2 'total rookie' questions:

1) For simple beginner level file generation, what software do you recommend?
2) I've heard of shapeways; are there other similar companies? Any of them anywhere near me (Chicago)? Would love to know who the good companies are.

Many thanks!

1) https://www.tinkercad.com/ - free and incredibly simple to learn
2) https://craftcloud3d.com/ (or you might get a friendly offer from a fellow forum member to print it). Most 3D printing services will let you upload your STL file and they'll quote it. So you can shop around. Usually, setup is the biggest expense for a small part, so there's a lot of cost overhead in printing one copy of a thing. That can vary a lot between services.

I have used Fictiv a couple times for very high quality prints to be used as masters for resin casting. At the time they were cheaper than Shapeways, but it's been several years. Parts arrived in just a couple days from one of their network members in NYC. I would use them again if I needed something with higher precision than a current typical resin printer can do (at the time DLP/SLA printers were nowhere near as cheap or common as they are now).

That said, printing from a service isn't cheap, and takes comparatively a lot of time. You need to be confident in your 3D design work to rely heavily on a service, because it's too expensive and time consuming to iterate on a part. This can be especially difficult for mechanical and otherwise functional parts. If it's a miniature figure or other mostly visual piece then it kind of is what it is---what you see is what you get. But if the design needs to interact with other parts, fit various fixtures, etc., that can be tricky to get right the first time, let alone your design changing over time. Granted, in some ways it's easier with very high quality prints from a service because the tolerances are tighter than consumer printers, but it's still a challenge.

There are several very good home printers now that cost about what you'll pay for 2--6 prints from a service and are straightforward and quick to get up & running. Certainly within the wheelhouse of somebody with advanced rocketry experience.

I totally get it if you just don't want to deal with setting up, running, and maintaining a printer. The cost of using a service could be acceptable in return for that. Very high quality prints of the final design also make a lot of sense to get from a service. But the time involved to iterate on developing and refining a design through a print service would be a real showstopper for me personally.

Some of the larger CAD companies do 'student discounts'.. If you are thinking engineering / mechanics, might as well jump into proper CAD modelling with either Soldiworks or Fusion 360.

Some cities have maker centers; a place full of tool for the 'common person' to use: mills, saws, drill presses, etc.. and they usually have a 3D printer or two. And check out the local library, I've heard some of them have a 3D printer for use.

https://edu.3ds.com/en/software/stu...dSadqRbooqwHNnJ--Ex3LTvRW5PYn5iIaAuwzEALw_wcB

treatstock.com - its crowd sourced 3d printing basically.

What are you looking to 3d print in the chicago area?

Hi all-

I want to get into using an external printhouse to print from files I create. I'm beginning with a simple piece that is small (less than 2"). This brings me to 2 'total rookie' questions:

1) For simple beginner level file generation, what software do you recommend?
2) I've heard of shapeways; are there other similar companies? Any of them anywhere near me (Chicago)? Would love to know who the good companies are.

Many thanks!

I am not from Chicago, but I would print them at cost if you design them.

Try checking with your local library - some are opening “maker spaces” with 3D printers, laser cutters, Cricut machines - and typically only charge for materials.

Back