Questions about LDRS and BALLS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tim,
I believe that in general every Tripoli Member in good standing is welcome at any Tripoli or NAR launch, regardless of where they come from. Tripoli members who have Associate memberships must upgrade to a full membership in order to fly under Tripoli insurance.
Most Tripoli Prefectures have websites that can be found by visiting the Tripoli website and clicking on the menu item Prefectures. That takes you to a world map where you can zoom in to find individual Prefectures. At the very least you’ll find the names of the Prefectures which you can google.
I’m sure NAR has something similar.
Good luck. I heard that non-essential travel to the USA has just been opened back up so you should be able to come fly with us!
Thanks Steve. Yes, very much hoping to be able to do that before too long!

Same with KLOUDBusters launches. We have overseas attendees from time-to-time. No restrictions, especially now that the BATFE restrictions are moot.

KLOUDBusters schedule will be released around Dec. 1. It will include AIRFest 28 August 2-5, 2022.

BALLS is quite unique and Black Rock is the Mecca of amateur rocketry. If you love rockets, build the most extreme rocket or motor you can and take it to BALLS. you won't regret the experience.
Is that correct?
I thought AIRFest 28 was scheduled for SEPTEMBER 2-5, 2022

Burning Man Festivsl is nothing to do with rocketry. See Wikipedia.
Hi everyone,

So then, now that Burning Man has been raised, I have this question please.

I have heard of the Burning Man competition. And what is that? Who runs it (NAR or Tripoli, I guess are the two choices), when does it typically take place, and what is its relation to BALLS and LDRS.

Thank you.

Stanley

Burning Man is a competition to see who can be the weirdest Weirdo. It's the largest freak show on the planet 🤣

I know that this is going to sound funny, but one of my balls weighs a full 16 pounds, while the other one is only an 8 pounder. I suppose a bit of an explanation is in order.

I've participated in at least three different Bowling Ball Loft contests at three different LDRS's. There may have been others, but I only remember being in three of them for certain.......maybe four......... And one of them was at the only International LDRS that we've had so far: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada, and it was Lots of Fun. So my memories of them are just that...My Memories. Mark Clark might remember better than I. I seem to recall that one of them was in Orangeburg, but I might be wrong.

The BB Lofts have been of two different kinds, max altitude and parachute duration. Each contest had a standard minimum "weight" of the bowling ball and a maximum motor size. The three I remember were two K motor contests and one J motor contest. The best I ever did was come in 2nd place...sigh..... But I still had lots of fun.

The craziest part was the test flights at my own club. The RSO just about had a cow when I walked up with that 16 pounder. They made me fly at 500 feet, even the J motor one because they were a bit nervous. Both of the rockets flew well. They've both flown multiple times and I've gotten them back safely each time. Of course with a 16 pound bowling ball for a nose cone, some would argue that there is no such thing as a safe way to fly it. But I am willing to let them disagree as long as they don't want to stop me from flying.

If it was my choice, I'd say come fly at an LDRS. Lots of vendors which is very important. Lots of folks. Lots of fun. And usually four days of hard hitting flying of just about everything you can imagine. And the LDRS Banquet is usually a hoot as well.

BALLS is on my bucket list, but I try to never miss an LDRS.

Brad, the "Rocket Rev.," Wilson

RocketRev,

I have video evidence that one of your attempts was at Orangeburg. :) LDRS19 in 2000 I believe.

-Eric-

RocketRev,

I have video evidence that one of your attempts was at Orangeburg. :) LDRS19 in 2000 I believe.

-Eric-

Hello Eric my new best Friend!

So my memory of one BB-Loft happening at Orangeburg is correct. Excellent.

Any chance I could get a copy of that? Or is it a part of a larger commercial video? (back in the days when we had commercial videos from launches)

Brad

Hi Brad,

Yes; happy to share. Not my video...it was either Cagle's Point 39...or Extreme Rocketry...or Ky's Rocketman... I'll see what I can find; I'm thinking it was Point 39 production in VHS format!

Did my L2 at that launch before doing my L3 with some RocketRev guy a few years later! ;)

-Eric-

Hello Eric my new best Friend!

So my memory of one BB-Loft happening at Orangeburg is correct. Excellent.

Any chance I could get a copy of that? Or is it a part of a larger commercial video? (back in the days when we had commercial videos from launches)

Brad

Hi Brad,
Yes; happy to share. Not my video...it was either Cagle's Point 39...or Extreme Rocketry...or Ky's Rocketman... I'll see what I can find; I'm thinking it was Point 39 production in VHS format!
Did my L2 at that launch before doing my L3 with some RocketRev guy a few years later! ;)
-Eric-

Hey Eric,

I'd forgotten about those old vhs tapes from Point 39. I might even have that one someplace in a box. I will give a look when i get some free time....free time...roflmbso.

And if I find them, I wonder if I can find somebody to transfer them to DVDs? I doubt that I have a working VHS anymore.

And BTW - you were one of the L-3 certs that I had little doubt would succeed. I've had quite a few that I seriously doubted would make it, but yours wasn't one of them.

Brad

Last edited:
I can dub vhs to dvd; I've been archiving my Sis's movies of the kids and stuff.
I'm charging her $100 per 2 hour DVD. I can even do mini VHS, which was a camera resized tape.
I realize you don't know me at all; I can suggest some equipment to buy, lol. Find a working vhs player, and the rest is easy.

LDRS will be hosted by ROC, great bunch of rocketeers! June 09-12-2022! Great site, dry lake with plenty of recovery area. Close in to town for supplies and fuel. Limited rooms available. Camping avail. on the playa. On my calendar now.

This is even closer to me than the original site, and I’m giving it serious consideration. And I have friends and family in Southern California who might be excited to come check it out too.

Back