Quantcast

Questions about ejection baffles

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Tbaba13

Reaction score
When using a ejection baffle, do you need a fire blanket or some other form of parachute protection?

jimzcatz

Boss, Carolina Rocket Mafia
Reaction score
My only question I have about ejection baffles is which trashcan to throw them in!!

cbwho

Reaction score
No and no.

I read up on them and made one and it worked perfectly on my LPR with no wadding. There are lots of designs. I recommend that you select one that obeys the "no straight line path" rule as well as the "shake out" rule.

I used glue, aluminium tape and toothpicks to reenforce and shield my balsa baffles.

Banzai88

Lvl 1,Wallet....Destroyed
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
When using a ejection baffle, do you need a fire blanket or some other form of parachute protection?
Depends ENTIRELY on the design. There are some out there that cause the ejection gasses to change direction 180 degrees at least twice, some that only present half moon 'speed bumps'. Each has it's own strengths and weaknesses, none of them are 100%, and they're all subject to degradation over time/use.

Bowman

Reaction score
My experience is no. I had pretty good luck with the baffles I used. They do deteriorate and need to be "refreshed" as the other poster mentioned.
The shake-out rule is a good one. That is the main flaw I found with the Aerotech baffles. No easy way to replace the mesh they used and it was pretty wasted after a year of launches.
But when fresh I had no issue with chutes being damaged.

I actually prefer pistons with the skirt reinforced but they take space so I usually depend on nomex protectors.

cbrarick

Wildman CT
Reaction score
I'm always baffled by why people use baffles.
Dog barf or nomex is a lot more simple, less prone to fail