Questions about CTI M1830 vs M2250 C-star

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketgeek101

Reaction score
I'm seriously considering flying the CTI M1830 for my certification attempt. I notice that CTI also makes the M2250 which is similar (both are Pro 75 4-grain C-star motors). From what I've read, the M2250 requires grain bonding while the M1830 does not. Why is this?

Also, while searching the web I've stumbled across a number of reports of CATO's with the M2250. I couldn't find similar reports for the M1830. Is the M1830 generally considered reliable? Are there known reliability issues with the M2250 (or any other CTI M motors for that matter)?

Last edited:
The M2250 was discontinued back in 2016 (?). I flew a few of them and never had any problems, but some people did.
I have also flown a couple of M1830's without any issues. I glued the grains on these even though it wasn't totally necessary. I think it is a good idea on all of more aggressive 75 and 98 motors - especially if is a high G flight. To put it simply - the grain bonding is just to keep the high velocity gasses from ejecting the grains during the burn and possible clogging the nozzle causing an over-pressurization.

Back