Questions about competition steamers (duration)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astronboy

Reaction score
After flying commercial kits in local club competition, I have finally built my first 'purpose built' competition model. It is for 1/2A streamer duration. I am all set, but now find that I am toally lacking in experience with streamers.

How big a streamer can I reasonably fit into a BT-5?

Where is a goos source for streamer material in the large sizes i see listed for competition (like 4 x 40")?

Thanks!!

ASP sells 4x40 tracing paper streamers...or just get your own tracing paper from a craft store (if you can find it in sufficient lengths). Be sure to accordian fold about the last 2/3 of the streamer. Be careful with the folds...you don't want the streamer rubbing tight against the inner wall of the tube.

Originally posted by astronboy
Where is a goos source for streamer material in the large sizes i see listed for competition (like 4 x 40")?

Try Totally Tubular, I think they sell 4 inch stock.

Otherwise, find a 'space blanket' at your local sporting goods store and cut whatever size you need.

Fred:
It really depends on the material your working with 2/3rd accordian folded 4x40" of anything will fit easily in a BT-5, 6X60" in 1mil mylar with the same fold pattern will fit nicely, I've seen a 1/2Mil 1/2" accordian folded mica-film 8" x 80" flown in a BT-5 which thermalled away..many minute flight;) Micra-Film is no longer available, nor is the great 1/2mil robins egg blue mylar that made great 4 and 6" streamers. I have a 36" x 50ys roll of 1mil material bought long ago back when Ed owned Appogee, that I'm still using so I have no idea were to get streamer stuff anymore..

astronboy:

You will more than likely wnat to use either 1/2 mil or 1 mil aluminized mylar....these seem to be the materials everybody seems to agree on....remember that 1 mil will hold pleats better than 1/2 mil... 1/2mil obviously wil be lighter and more flexible to fit inside a Bt-5...

Totally Tubular sells mylar in 1/4,1/2 and 1.5 mil thicknesses

https://www.wooshrocketry.org/misc/tt.htm

Asp Rocketry sells mylar in 1/4 and 3/4 mil thicknesses and also sells the tracing paper streamers

https://www.asp-rocketry.com/recoverydevices.html

Or you can purchase rolls of the tracing paper here:
https://www.misterart.com/store/vie...nfang-No-107-Canary-Sketching-Paper-Rolls.htm

I just recently purchased some rolls of 1/2 and 1 mil from here:

https://www.nielsensenterprises.com/snomo/mylar.htm

They are in the Northwest so it will take a full 7 days via UPS to get east.....

Thanks everyone, this is exactly what I was looking for!!!

Fred

FlisKits also sells a 4x40 and 6x60 drafting paper streamer kits. They've got great instructions.

-bill

FlisKits' STD-440 easily fits in a BT-5 ($2.95 - under Recovery Devices) INcludes all the materials you'll need plus folding instructions.

You may also want to check out our Pop Lug (PL001) for $2.75

jim

Originally posted by shockwaveriderz
I just recently purchased some rolls of 1/2 and 1 mil from here:

https://www.nielsensenterprises.com/snomo/mylar.htm

They are in the Northwest so it will take a full 7 days via UPS to get east.....
Did you purchase their "mirror sheeting" or Mylar? They don't have the mylar prices posted and wondered how their "mirror sheeting" compares...

thanks,
-bill

After you get your streamer ready, don't forget to do the matching work on the carrier vehicle.
I like to add a ring of reinforcing CA soaked into the front lip of the BT, and a **thin** layer down the insides of the front. After it cures, sand with fine-grit paper until it is smooth. Make sure the front lip of the BT does not have ANY burrs, or peels, or splits, or any other protruding bits facing the insides (you don't want anything in the way of your deployment). Do not use any form of internal tether/shock cord mount that might present even the slightest interference with getting out that streamer. I used to use a paper cup (in addition to ejection wadding) to help the packed streamer slip out of the BT.
Don't forget that the tether/shock cord needs to be attached to the outside of your rocket such that the BT (with dead motor) hangs sideways.

the mirror sheeting and mylar is one and the same Bill..as far as I can tell....

I have 1/4 mil from ASP and 1.5 mil from TT and this looks and feels and seems to behave the same as the others......

I emailed Neilsen and they told me that all their mirror sheeting is a polyester plastic film and that some of their polyester plastic film is DuPont brand Mylar, which is a polyester plastic film.....

I flew a 6"X60" streamer made from Clearphane last year. Good enough for the C division A SD record: 323 seconds.

I get the Clearphane at my local Hobby Lobby in 30 in. by 25 ft. rolls.

Back