Questions about AMW compatible reloads.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave A

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
As some of you know, CTI makes a series of AMW compatible loads, mainly I am asking about the 54mm line.
These are prepacked slugs in a liner and is supplied with the phenolic nozzle.
Each motor uses a nozzle carrier and the old AMW bulhead and snap ring case.
I have flown a hand full of these loads, they are a great price, perform well and no need to wear out you graphite nozzles.

I lost my only nozzle carrier and got new ones from AMW.
The shoulder of the supplied nozzle is the same size of the ID of the nozzle carrier. Obviously the nozzle will not go in.

Do any of you have one of these loads who can measure the OD of the nozzle shoulder and the ID of your nozzle carrier?
I think this nozzle was made too big but want to make sure before I turn it down.
I kind of doubt the new nozzle carriers are manufactured wrong.
Any help would be appreciated.

What load. Some use the AMW graphite nozzle. I think some might not use the nozzle carrier. I have had some not fit in one way but reversing it in the carrier worked.

What load. Some use the AMW graphite nozzle. I think some might not use the nozzle carrier. I have had some not fit in one way but reversing it in the carrier worked.
Sorry, Jim, it's the red load I got from you.
It has the typical phenolic nozzle and the instructions show to use the nozzle carrier.
The nozzle shoulder will not go into the nozzle carrier. Not your fault, just needs to be turned down. I doubt the new nozzle carrier was made too small. It won't go in either way.
That's why I asked someone to measure theirs.20190323_191218.jpeg

I measured the CTI adapter and a nozzle from a AMW/ProX reload (J325T, 1050 case).
See attached.

Attachments

• 54ProXAdapter.pdf
    95.9 KB · Views: 55
The AMW/ProX nozzle fits perfectly into the adapter.

I missed dimensioning the overall OD of the carrier: 1.920". That fits the AMW snapring case ID of 1.928. (Updated drawing attached).

The 2550 Animal Compatible load is listed as the RR-2730-L1276-P.
https://www.pro38.com/products/pro54/motor/MotorData.php?prodid=2730L1276-P

Your label says L1580. I don't see that on Thrustcurve.org or anywhere online. Hmmm.

Attachments

• 54ProXAdapter.pdf
    96.1 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Problem has been solved.
John provided the needed dimensions ( in an excellent dwg, I might add!)
I discovered the outside of the nozzle that fits in the carrier was 0.0125" too big.
I made an arbor out of a 5/16" bolt, found two metric stainless washers that fit on the bolt snug.
Tightened it with a nut. Since both ends of the nozzle are tapered, the jig was self-centering.
I placed it in my 5/8" chuck drill press and spun it like I stole it!
Had no wobble to it (a little maybe) but I hit it with a fine wood rasp for about 2 minutes and 120 sandpaper, then smoothed it with some 400 wet or dry sandpaper and oil. Kept checking the size was uniform down the length.(within a few thou')
Fits perfectly, L-1580RedRhino is loaded in my Kosdon 2550n case.
See below.

Attachments

• 20190328_163038.jpg
    20190328_163038.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 65
  • 20190328_162902.jpg
    20190328_162902.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 69
  • 20190328_163144.jpg
    20190328_163144.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 67
Nice fix! Glad I could help.

Did you measure the nozzle throat diameter? Might be good to do a quick sanity check against others for the same casing.

Problem has been solved.
John provided the needed dimensions ( in an excellent dwg, I might add!)
I discovered the outside of the nozzle that fits in the carrier was 0.0125" too big.
I made an arbor out of a 5/16" bolt, found two metric stainless washers that fit on the bolt snug.
Tightened it with a nut. Since both ends of the nozzle are tapered, the jig was self-centering.
I placed it in my 5/8" chuck drill press and spun it like I stole it!
Had no wobble to it (a little maybe) but I hit it with a fine wood rasp for about 2 minutes and 120 sandpaper, then smoothed it with some 400 wet or dry sandpaper and oil. Kept checking the size was uniform down the length.(within a few thou')
Fits perfectly, L-1580RedRhino is loaded in my Kosdon 2550n case.
See below.
I love me some redneck Machining LOL. Great Job!

I love me some redneck Machining LOL. Great Job!
Hey! I resemble that remark! How did you know I was born in Georgia and I don't mean near Russia either!

The 2550 Animal Compatible load is listed as the RR-2730-L1276-P.
Your label says L1580. I don't see that on Thrustcurve.org or anywhere online. Hmmm.

All I can guess it was one of the earliest versions of the 2550 Red Rhino.
Not sure how the L-1580 RR jumped down to the replacement, L-1276 RR.

While on the subject of the AMW Compatible loads.
You cannot beat the prices of these loads.
The grains are already loaded in the liner (no sanding or peeling off layers of casting tube)
It comes with its own disposable phenolic nozzle (must use the 54mm nozzle carrier)
Top grain comes with a starter pellet in the grain, igniter also included.
The seem to work with any AMY fwd closure. Their drawing shows utilizing the "hockey puck" fwd.
Either way, I stack thrust washers at the end to fill in any gap left in the assembly.

This time I actually used an older Loki fwd closure with a smoke well.
Don't have a extra smoke charge lying around?
My buddy Ken Allen showed me a trick using a stack of o-rings in the well.
The inexpensive smokes from Aerotech slide right inside the o-rings.

These AMW compatibles are the least expensive reloads of ANY other brand for the corresponding impulse range.
Here is the L-1276 Red in my 6" FG Ultimate Endeavor.
Where can you beat 2700+ newtons for $132, only if you mix it yourself.

Attachments

• Ult End -L1276- ascent-1.jpg
    Ult End -L1276- ascent-1.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 40
Back