Questions about a mylar chute

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mv1371

Reaction score
I am building a Launch Pad Type 30 which came with a mylar chute.

1. Is wadding still required?

2. Do I still need to use talcum powder?

3. The material is really "crinkly" and kind of stiff. Is this going to cause problems when I fold the chute, or is there a special folding technique for mylar?

Just my personal opinion, do yourself and your rocket a favor and replace the chute with a nylon one. You do need wadding, don't know for sure if talcum helps or not on mylar. Don't use 'em.

Yes you need wadding.

You don't really need talcum powder, but having it in the chute to come out and create a "puff cloud" can help you see it.

I found you can use the same packing technique as a plastic chute

Spend some time crinkling the chute so that it is more flexible. Then, sprinkle with talcum powder and rub it into the creases. Yes, you still need wadding.

These other guys are right on the mark, you definitely need flame-resistant ejection wadding

Even if the mylar were flame-proof, you still have to protect the shroud lines and the shock cord. They don't like to face burning BP either.

Mylar is just another plastic. It might melt at a different temperature than the other vinyl (or whatever) parachute materials but it is still well within the temperature range that the ejection charge reaches. Even for a quick flash of exposure, enough heat can easily be delivered to do major damage to the chute. (Note: heat energy and temperature are not quite the same thing.)

If your mylar is too stiff you can try ordering some bulk mylar or some pre-made chutes from several of our vendors. The stuff sold for rocketry is probably a little thinner than others. And if you go to your local sporting goods store (Academy, Sports Authority, even the sporting goods section of W-Mart) you can probably find a "space blanket" for emergency survival---this thing will unroll to around five feet by six or eight feet and is usually made from thin aluminized mylar that works great for chutes and streamers.

Back