question ?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobby_hamill

Reaction score
I have finally decided on what paints I want to try and it is the ( spray can )
Duplicor Perfect match lacquer
Duplicor clear lacquer

My question is can these 2 products be used over
Elmers carpenters wood filler and aerogloss sanding sealer ?

I am assuming the Elmers carpenters wood filler and aerogloss sanding sealer can be used to fill and seal birch plywood fins .

Thanks

Bobby

Yes on everything you said. But you will get much better results if you spray a coat or two of Duplicolor lacquer primer before the color coat.

Also I wouldn't bother with the AeroGloss sanding sealer. Thinned CWF will do a better job of sealing the fins than AeroGloss. And no toxic fumes.

Since I see an array of wood filler posted right above, I'll ask the properties of those three types.
I bought and have used the Blue on the right and can't say I'm fond of the fibers that are in it. Are the left hand two smoother?

Since I see an array of wood filler posted right above, I'll ask the properties of those three types.
I bought and have used the Blue on the right and can't say I'm fond of the fibers that are in it. Are the left hand two smoother?

Sorry for the slight digression bobby_hamill. :blush:

The middle and right side pictures are identical smooth CWF in different packaging, the middle one being the newer style. I've used both. The Color Change is also smooth; I haven't used it yet but some other TRFers have and you can read their comments here:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?133884-Elmer-s-Wood-Filler-Woes

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?126379-Grainy-Elmer-s-Carpenter-s-Wood-Filler-Max

Unless Elmer's has changed something in the last year, always a possibility, the only wood filler products with fibers or grit are identified with MAX or PRO on the package. Yes, they are to be avoided.

[edit]

Hadn't seen this package yet. Stainable Wood Filler. "Contain Real Wood Fibers" Bad wood fibers! Naughty, naughty wood fibers! :wink:

Elmers Stainable wood filler.jpg

Last edited:
Well, there it is. On further inspection, there is a Large "Stainable" on my container. Cleverly hidden smack in the middle of the label.
I was wondering why everyone swore by this method, then I just thought I sucked at it.

I think I'll keep this bunch for actually Filling gaps, and get one of the regular types for grains.

Thanks!

edit: bought a squeeze tube of regular CWF (walmart doesn't sell tubs smaller than 30 oz..). Sooo much better than the stainable stuff I was using....

The picture shows all the difference. One seam is Stainable (thicker and lumpier), the other is plain (smooth and even).
IMG_20170211_210841181.jpg

Last edited:
Back