Question Re: HPR magazine

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"The point of the moderators is to keep RMR away."

This should be in the FAQ.

Originally posted by TRH3114
"The point of the moderators is to keep RMR away."

This should be in the FAQ.

I agree, let's keep the bashing and personal attack so prevelant on rmr away from here. Let's not refuse to refer to rmr where the entire discussion has been well developed and one can simply make reference to it, especially a political or controversial topic like HPR magazine.

But let's NOT act like these subjects have never been discussed, or need discussing, lets just take pleasure in the bifurcation of TRF and rmr.

On the subject at hand, HPR magazine, we have some obvious and glaring inconsistencies by both HPR and TRA.

To wit:

TRA says HPR is a separate entity, yet

TRA sold HPR to BK in a transaction that has, let's say, been questioned

TRA has set HPR as the OFFICIAL magazine to the exclusion of all others

TRA has HPR magazine on its official membership application

TRA collects funds for HPR and transmits them to HPR

with full knowledge the magazine is not delivering as promised

with full knowledge this is a persistent problem

HPR claims to be the separate yet official magazine of TRA and

Promotes this "private venture" in the "non-profit priced" trade show booths TRA obtains because of its status.

Promised for years to deliver 9 issues per year and delivered an average of about 4, year after year for over a DECADE

Stated there was a material shortage and begged for yet another chance

So it increased its PROMISED issue count from 9 to 12!!!

TRA repeated and promoted the "false promise" in its publications

HPR has continued to deliver some 4-5 issues per year and continue to complain about content shortages.

At all times throughout the 1990-2004 reign of Bruce Kelly I have offered to simply do the magazine instead. I never had content shortages in the magazine I published.

The industry is so thin it cannot support a third magazine. The two that exist now need to either consolidate or be bouyed by a substantial change in internal club policies that allow as many consumers to participate in rocketry that both want to and are legal to do so. TRA imposes several barriers that are arbitrary and dramatically reduce participation in HPR. I have noted them on rmr many times.

If you reply to refute anything I have said, please be so kind as to cite what I said and how you feel it is innacurate. I crave accuracy in these matters.

And there is no reason why this cannot be discussed without "bashing" anyone. Reporting true fact is NOT bashing.

Jerry Irvine

To answer the question, my suggestion is to renew your membership without the mag. Even with the promises it is still a question if issues can be released as promised. I typically find the mag in our local King RC shop if I want to look though it so I don't have a problem not getting it in the mail.

As a side note, I do have a problem with the cost of renewing NAR now. Holy crud. I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to subscribe to both since one of the alure (sp?) of NAR was the cheaper cost. Anyways, both NAR and TRA have their good and bad points but at the core both are very good orgs to belong to.

About politics and such:
Because of this, The Rocketry Forum is a Political free zone. We reserve the right to remove any post that is deemed by the Moderators to be "political". Discussions of the "How" and "What" are allowable when dealing with different certifications or governmental agencies. It is the "Why" post that will be removed.

Accurate numbers are a part of the "What" mentioned above. (IMHO) So, Mr. Irvine if you have statistical data you wish to post about membership or issues, feel free to post them. However just remember, there is a fine line between information relaying and bashing. Bashing will not be tolerated. :slowly reaches for his cattleprod at his side: :)

Very unusual for me to agree with Jerry Irvine on anything. As a new member of TRA just a few years ago, I sent in my extra bucks for HPR Magazine and received about 4 or 5 of the expected year's worth. Never did get the rest despite the best efforts of everyone involved. Partly my fault as so much time had gone by from the time I missed the issues until the time someone finally asked "How many issues do we need to send you to make things even"... I couldn't remember. Nontheless, from a customer service standpoint, they have lost ME FOREVER as a subscriber. Once bitten, twice shy. They never did send me any of the missing issues.

It has always been my fervent contention that TRA needs to seperate itself from the HPR Magazine 'fiasco'. I still have bad feelings about being 'duped' into sending money for a magazine that everyone but me (as a newbie) knew would never be delivered. The hurt is fading with time.... but will never be forgotten. I hate being taken advantage of. Those that know me will tell you that I am one of the most generous, honest, down-to-Earth people on the planet. Just don't take advantage of me. That really ticks me off.

So - my recommendation. Join TRA. Seems like a decent enough group and they put on some great events. Join NAR as well, if you can afford it. I am a member of both. NAR membership and Sport Rocketry Magazine are great and they also put on great events. And both organizations represent rocketeers.

I do not subscribe to HPR Magazine and will never subscribe to it again. If I happen to see one somewhere I will have a peek through it - but will never subscribe to it again. Lately I have been toying with the idea of subscribing to Extreme Rocketry Magazine. There's plenty of stuff on the internet to keep me occupied, but I think I would like to support this particular effort.

I don't hold a grudge for very long.... but when I am hurt I remember it for a long time.

I subscribe to Extreme Rocketry and recommend it highly! My only complaint is that I wish it had a little more content than it does some months. Seems that it would be better if everyone that had material just sent it to them. Then if everyone just quit buying and subscribing to HPR and just supported ER we would be left with one great magazine that has proven they can meet their promises even through some pretty lean times. Might be time to let HPR pass away of natural causes :kill:

My only complaint is that I wish it had a little more content than it does some months.

LOL! I can say the same thing about every magazine I get every month!

Sport Rocketry

Popular Woodworking

Wooden Boat

All to fast a read for me...maybe I'm the one that's too fast.:confused:

Originally posted by Jerry Irvine

So it increased its PROMISED issue count from 9 to 12!!!

And raised the price in the process.

Forego the subscription and donate the money to the Legal Fund instead. Less heartache and you'll feel better in the morning.

Bill

Originally posted by Captain Dunsel
I subscribe to Extreme Rocketry and recommend it highly! My only complaint is that I wish it had a little more content than it does some months. Seems that it would be better if everyone that had material just sent it to them.

No can do. They are too good to accept my digital photographs.

Bill

What resolution photo's are you using? A friend of mine who works in the printing business explained to me once why digital photo's can not be used. Didn't follow it all but he was telling me that the newer 5 megapixal cameras and above are just starting to get high enough resolutions to use in the print media.

Originally posted by Captain Dunsel
What resolution photo's are you using? A friend of mine who works in the printing business explained to me once why digital photo's can not be used. Didn't follow it all but he was telling me that the newer 5 megapixal cameras and above are just starting to get high enough resolutions to use in the print media.

About a meg and a half. I know I won't be contributing a centerfold or a cover shot (though quite a few of the centerfold shots have been extremely grainy). I have had quarter to half page shots published in Sport Rocketry which came out beautifully.

Bill

Back