question on slotted fins

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlfaBrewer

Reaction score
I'm planning a rocket for my Father-in-Law who's more (by far) of an Alfa nut than me. I'd like to make the fins reminiscent of the heart shape Alfa grill. My concern is that the fins would break rather easily, as the Alfa grill has large open slots in it. This will be a mid power rocket using 2.6" LOC tube and 1/8" plywood fins. My plan is to have at least as much wood as slot.

Here's a couple of pics of Alfa grills.
grill pic.jpg grill.jpg

I'm thinking of something similar to the first picture, although this is my favorite by far.
mmmmmm.jpg

If this is a reasonable plan I will sketch up some ideas and post them for feedback.

I'm pretty sure the last pic is the most aerodynamic and will generate the most lift, however, I cannot be sure without the actual model. Please send to my house, posthaste, and I will extensively test for you to best determine the center of pressure.

Later!

--Coop

All seriousness aside, what may be best for that grill is to attach it to the leading opening of tube fins...

Later!

--Coop

I gotta tell ya--I've been tinkering with the idea of making auto similar rockets ,with the distinctive grills as part of the nose cone and sorta stretching the rest of the body back and working the various styles into the design. Seems like a tough gig but doable. I like the tube fin idea with the grills in the fins but that might be a one off sorta deal ! I would'nt work off the second photo--leave that to me--she seems sick with swollen lungs---I can most likely get you a better ----not gonna go there-----hmmm-- idea of what to do ! H

I threw together a sketch of a couple of ideas. One is more rounded like the classic grill, the other is a little more stylized with sharper corners.

sketches.jpg

The only open area on these would be the long skinny slots. The circle is be where the Alfa logo would be. I expect these would work just fine, but I might have to upsize them a bit from what I have here (5" root edge). The real things would be mounted TTW, I just didn't put the tabs on these.

Back