Question on Rails.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just bought an 8 ft piece from govets for 29 dollars and free shipping. Arrived in 2 days also.

This sounds too good to be true.

While looking at this post yesterday morning and thinking it must be a scam, I realized that I must have a rail if I plan to give my L2 rocket a shakedown flight at home before going for the L2 cert flight.

I took a chance on GoVets.com, ordered a 6' 1010 yesterday about 11:00AM Shipping was free, the total charge was $28.24. Yeah, we'll see about that ...

Barely 24 hours later, and the damned thing is sitting in my office 😲 😲 😲 . Shipped from Grainger. For 28 bucks. Wow!!!

While looking at this post yesterday morning and thinking it must be a scam, I realized that I must have a rail if I plan to give my L2 rocket a shakedown flight at home before going for the L2 cert flight.

I took a chance on GoVets.com, ordered a 6' 1010 yesterday about 11:00AM Shipping was free, the total charge was $28.24. Yeah, we'll see about that ...

Barely 24 hours later, and the damned thing is sitting in my office 😲 😲 😲 . Shipped from Grainger. For 28 bucks. Wow!!!
That same section of rail from McMaster-Carr would have been ~$50 in shipping

<26 hours from order to arrival at my door. Unreal. $30 for an 8' rail shipped from Grainger. Haven't opened it yet, but it's encased in some solid cardboard tubes. So yeah, that govets option is legit.

Edit, definitely rail in the package, in perfect shape.

Last edited:
Yeah I was surprised when I got mine. Glad to see other people are getting them also and that I wasnt trying to pull one over on anybody!

Shooting for my level one this weekend so hopefully that goes well also.

Glad I found this thread before placing my order with Grainger. Saving a few bucks on a 6 footer and not having to pick it up myself to save on shipping......not bad, not bad at all!

I tried ordering a 6’ rail makes you purchase 2. Do you have a link?

thanks

Apparently I'm the exception to the rule. Placed my order a week ago this evening and still no rail, no shipping date, and no charge to my card. Received confirmation of the order right away and a notice of "shipment pending". Reached out via email Tuesday to inquire about the delivery status and received a copy of my order as an answer on Wednesday without any reference to a delivery date. Overall not a big fan of this way of getting a rail. Ill give it another day before I drive over to Grainger and pick one up.

Update.....the charge just hit my credit card today. Maybe I'll actually get this thing before another week lapses.

Last edited:
Got the rail from the guy on FB. He just wanted it gone so I gave him $10 and brought it home. Took it over to my buddies and let him cut it down to 8 ft.

Thanks for posting the Govets website. I sent that to another buddy that I fly with and he ordered a 6 ft piece on Weds. He Just texted and said FedEx dropped it off this morning. He said it shipped from the local Grainger distribution center.

Now we have the best of both worlds, 6 and 8 ft sections.

Well this has been an experience. After several emails back and forth and some level of frustration dealing with GoVets I finally have my 6' rail. On top of poor communication from GoVets, FedEX managed to deliver it to the wrong house # on the wrong street today. Thankfully the person who got it was nice enough to bring it over to my place. I know everybody here has had good experiences getting their rails this way but should I need another in the future I'll spend the extra $8 and drive the 15 minutes to pick it up from Grainger directly.

Well this has been an experience. After several emails back and forth and some level of frustration dealing with GoVets I finally have my 6' rail. On top of poor communication from GoVets, FedEX managed to deliver it to the wrong house # on the wrong street today. Thankfully the person who got it was nice enough to bring it over to my place. I know everybody here has had good experiences getting their rails this way but should I need another in the future I'll spend the extra $8 and drive the 15 minutes to pick it up from Grainger directly.

Yeah, that's a bummer. :(

8020 comes in handy for a lot of things; I'm building a new launchpad and controller; the one I'm using now I built in the 80's out of an old test set. this one will have continuity and several safety features, based on past experiences.

if you can pick it up locally for eight dollars more than I would 100% agree with you.

For those that don’t have a Granger store or a Granger account then the govets seems to be a pretty good option. One out of seven or eight orders taking a little longer than anticipated seems like a reasonable Margin of error.

Just sucks that it had to happen to you

if you can pick it up locally for eight dollars more than I would 100% agree with you.

For those that don’t have a Granger store or a Granger account then the govets seems to be a pretty good option. One out of seven or eight orders taking a little longer than anticipated seems like a reasonable Margin of error.

Just sucks that it had to happen to you

I fully understand the issue with delays in today's "shortage of everything" environment and I have absolutely no problem with that. My issue was not with the delay but rather with the poor communication and lack of a direct answer to my requesting a shipping date/order status. Just to put a finer point on it, I received my shipping confirmation email this morning, three days after actually receiving the rail. I don't think of myself as unreasonable but poor communication as it relates to a transaction is a deal breaker for me.

OMG....another 6' rail just showed up at my door.

Last edited:
I also did Grainger w/ pickup. I selected a 2020 rail since I tend to work in metric for 3D design/printing. I bought a 4 meter rail for $40 and cut it in half so have a backup or can make a 2nd rail launch pad.

1st rail came to them damaged so had to wait for a 2nd. Kinda annoying if you setup a personal account on Grainger since you cannot track order or see past orders. Wish they had let me see 1st rail since I only needed half and maybe would have taken it deeply discounted.

It was interesting trying to fit a 12' long piece of rail in my car - wound up driving with it sticking out the passenger window on the rear-view mirror like a lance.

Back