Question on purchasing motors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redsox15

Reaction score
I have heard that the rule has just been recently changed that you no longer need an explosives permit to buy H class and above motors? Is there more to that or am I making stuff up? I am asking because I am hoping to get my lvl one soon and just want to make sure im doing everything correctly, starting with solid built rocket of course haha:)

Matt

I have heard that the rule has just been recently changed that you no longer need an explosives permit to buy H class and above motors? Is there more to that or am I making stuff up?

You have it correct, Matt. NAR/TRA won the court case and the judge vacated the ATF's ruling that APCP is an explosive, effective March 16, 2009.

Now do I have to show that I am a member of NAR or Tripoli at time of delivery of the motor? Or am I all set on that? I know I will need valid showing of that when I actually go for the launch.

Now do I have to show that I am a member of NAR or Tripoli at time of delivery of the motor? Or am I all set on that? I know I will need valid showing of that when I actually go for the launch.

You'll have to do that at time of purchase. You also need to mention that the motor is for your L1 cert. You'll be allowed to purchase one - and only one- motor for your cert. If successful, then open that wallet have at it...buy all the H/I motors you want/can afford :)

If a cert flight is successful can we buy engines at the same launch or do we have to wait for paperwork to be processed?

If a cert flight is successful can we buy engines at the same launch or do we have to wait for paperwork to be processed?
Just show your on-site vendor your signed certification paperwork indicating you were successful and you'll be allowed to purchase motors then.

Also, I suggest you make a photocopy of the cert paperwork BEFORE sending it in. It may take a few weeks to get your card indicating your new certification status. Until that time, you can use the cert paperwork as proof of certification to purchase motors. Once your card arrives, you'll use that.

The NAR paperwork, at least, has a little tear-off temporary proof of certification, near the bottom:

https://www.nar.org/pdf/hpappl.pdf

Get your cert team to sign it, and you should be good for 60 days while waiting for an updated membership card.

Unless they changed it since I joined, the TRA paperwork is a series of "carbon" papers. Each level is transfered to the sheets below. The signed sheet is sent in but each level signatures for all levels are on the fourth sheet. You keep that sheet and can use it as proof of level.

Thanks for the info.

Another question: Are the motor venders at a launch like NERRF usually well stocked or is it better to order reloads ahead of time?

Usually vendors attending big national or regional events will be pretty well stocked..Though, it is always prudent to check with the vendor to either reserve or pre-purchase that 'certain specific' motor you want to fly, just to make sure it will be available for you..

Back