Question on launching a card stock rocket conversion...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Venturi-Eclipse

Reaction score
My 8 year son and I are phasing up to rocket motors from compressed air rockets...presently our rockets deploy gravity chutes with weight at apogee...at 80 to 100 psi (100’ To 200’ depending on size and weight of rocket)..I would like to know if using low power booster motors would work instead of charge delay parachute deployment. I know that I have to reinforce the rocket motor mount and most like add good old Alcoa aluminum foil barrier to internal bulkhead.

Attachments

• BB7E619F-4238-4BA2-996D-9767A9C92048.jpeg
    BB7E619F-4238-4BA2-996D-9767A9C92048.jpeg
    168.6 KB · Views: 18
Do you mean using a rocket motor in place of air? If your using a small explosive charge already to kick out the parachute then a booster motor probably won't have enough pressure to deploy your parachute.

If I understand what I see in the pic correctly, you have a rocket with a solid bulkhead about 3 to 4 inches forward of the aft end of the rocket. It sits on a pipe that releases compressed air and essentially blows the rocket up into the air. I would guess that the "motor mount" in your rocket doesn't fit standard estes rocket motors which creates issues. If you are interested in furthering your rocketry adventures may I suggest two things: first go to a local hobby shop or a Hobby Lobby and buy an Estes rocket kit. Should be a level 1 or 2 rocket, they're inexpensive. When you build it that will give you ideas to modify your air rocket if you decide to proceed; Second, check out Beginner Rocketry Thread. Lots of information. Specific answer to your question. If the motor fits I just don't know what might happen if you use an Estes motor. A booster motor will burn through, toast the tube and if not retained, be ejected. Pretty much the same with a delay, except the more forceful ejection charge may be more damaging. I know people fly cardstock all the time without issue so there are techniques to prevent issues. Way to long, have fun, fly rockets. :)

Back