Question on Hobby Lobby rocket sales

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeWain

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I saw in an newspaper ad a couple of week ago that Hobby Lobby had a sale with 30% off on all rocket kits, motors and accessories. :)

Too bad I could get to the store before the sale ended. :(

Do any of you veteran Hobby Lobby shoppers know how often they put rockets on sale? I know the 40% coupon is often available, but I was hoping to pick up a bunch of motors.

Thanks,
DeWain

Last edited:
Do any of you veteran Hobby Lobby shoppers know how often they put rockets on sale? I know the 40% is often available, but I was hoping to pick up a bunch of motors.

Thanks,
DeWain
They have sales on rocket kits and motors about once a month. Go to the Hobby Lobby website and sign up for the free news letter. You'll get a weekly reminder of all the items on special for the next week and a link to the discount coupon.

Art Applewhite

I saw in an newspaper ad a couple of week ago that Hobby Lobby had a sale with 30% off on all rocket kits, motors and accessories. :)

Too bad I could get to the store before the sale ended. :(

Do any of you veteran Hobby Lobby shoppers know how often they put rockets on sale? I know the 40% is often available, but I was hoping to pick up a bunch of motors.

Thanks,
DeWain

Sure... here's the link for you...

https://www.hobbylobby.com/weekly/weekly.cfm?page=2

They have a weekly coupon, usually between 30 and 40%... you can print the coupon off (I flip the sheet end for end and run it through the printer again to print off two) and give one to my wife, usually with a pack of engines to get for me, while I get another....

The coupons can be used for ONE REGULARLY PRICED ITEM-- they won't usually let you use them on stuff from the closeout aisle... though I sometimes sneak by when they have new kids on the register...

Later and happy hunting! OL JR :)

Like Art Applewhite already told you, go to the HobLob website and check for the coupon of the week. They also post their weekly sale fliers online.

HobLob does not include motors on sale very often. Mostly (like, 9 out of 10 times) it is only kits and starter specials. Read the sale info carefully?

You can still get motors using the 40% coupon, you just have to go through the line a bunch of times. Even so, it takes a 40% discount off an $8 pack of 18mm motors just to bring the cost down to a more reasonable $5 range, and you can still find that kind of pricing every day at many Wmarts. True, HobLob has a better assortment of motors than Wmart. Remember you can also buy online, and with a big enough order can match or beat the $5-a-pack prices.

This time of year, HobLob puts their 40% coupons up on the internet just about every week. I just used another coupon today.

HobLob does not include motors on sale very often. Mostly (like, 9 out of 10 times) it is only kits and starter specials. Read the sale info carefully?

I guess I'm going to have to watch more closely but I don't remember this being the case, at least not in Houston.

Here’s the thing about the 30% off rocket sales. The national ad often says “Does NOT include motors”.

But the in-store signs they put next to the rockets often say “Includes motors”.

Of course, if they were not willing to honor that, then it is up to each individual how strongly they might want to push it (by law they must honor the in store sign, but also by law the manager can say don’t ever come back here again if you ticked the manager off enough, so it can be worth a try but proably not worth pushing hard).

Our section has a brochure holder in every hobby store in town, including Hobby Lobby stores, so I would not push them to make a big deal of it myself considering they might remove the brochures. Oh I might try to, and if they said no, then put the motors back. But I usually use the 40% off coupons since the HL is in the same shopping center as a Wal-Mart I go to often (BTW - from Thanksgiving to Christmas, in recent years they have run those 40% coupons EVERY week).

BTW - just 2 weeks ago, a club member bought some motors at 30% off. It was strange, the store had two printed out ads which said the opposite thing, so the cashier used the one that said motors were included. I am not talking about the in-store signs, but a different copy of the national ad than apparently was on their website.

Strange.

- George Gassaway

BTW - just 2 weeks ago, a club member bought some motors at 30% off. It was strange, the store had two printed out ads which said the opposite thing, so the cashier used the one that said motors were included. I am not talking about the in-store signs, but a different copy of the national ad than apparently was on their website.

Strange.

- George Gassaway

That's what it was!! I was in one of the local HLs a couple weeks ago. I needed a pack of D motors. I had the 40% off coupon and had looked at the online add to make sure Estes stuff wasn't at 30% off. When I got there I noticed a 30% off sale sign in the Estes section. I checked the date and it was right but it wasn't listed in the sales flyer. The cashier took the 40% off coupon.

And I always buy motors with the coupon and at the 30% off sales and no one has ever said that the motors are not part of the 30% off sale. At least not yet.

Their on sale right now, or at least until the end of the day Saturday.

Andrew

I am glad for the rest of you guys if you can get motors on sale along with the rest of the stuff, but in all the HobLobs here in the Ft Worth area that I have been in, they are pretty careful not to include motors.

I even had trouble a couple times when buying some 220 Swift kits. The kit bag was so small that the little cashier girl insisted it was a package of motors and was not on sale. I had to open one there at the register to show her it was only a kit.

Hey, get 'em while you can!

I could have sworn that the ad said that motors were included. An odd thing about the ad was that it was a *print* ad in the newspaper. That was the first time that I saw a Hobby Lobby ad in the paper (other than when the Rochester store first opened). So maybe the inclusion of motors was a local thing.

I'll keep an eye on the on-line ad more often. I've used the 40% off coupon before... great way to get an Interceptor dirt cheap.

I think I have about a dozen by now

You never know when you might want a whole fleet of those. ;)

I don't know if they're still offering the deal, but last summer when I signed up for the Michael's email list they gave a coupon for 50% off that was good for 2 weeks. We were in the middle of rocket building for the fair, plus I shopped ahead for my daughter for Christmas. I saved a bundle!

The flyer for next week is up on the Hobby Lobby web site and it include a 30% off special on rocket kit including engine.

hobbylobby.jpg

Here is the link for the flyer for December 7-12, 2009:

https://www.hobbylobby.com/weekly/large_view.cfm

They also have a 40% off coupon this week:

https://www.hobbylobby.com/weekly/coupon.cfm

Art Applewhite

They have been running 40% off coupons every week for the last few weeks. I would bet they will be doing it every week through Christmas.

I have use 40% off coupons on things that are 30% off in the flyers. I think it depends on which cashier you get.

For anyone in the area who might be interested, yesterday I bought a new-in-bag Big Daddy kit from the clearance section of the HobLob in Burleson (the one on Wilshire blvd). I got it for well under half price. I left another one hanging in the back of the clearance aisle that was priced at some $17. It looked (through the bag) like it was OK and all there, I don't know why these were in the clearance section marked down like that, but those are questions that I just don't ask. (Take the rocket and run!) The kit is on clearance, coupons (supposedly) don't work with clearance prices, but it is pretty cheap as it is.

If you are within handy driving distance you may want to stop by Mon or Tues and look for it? Merry Christmas!

And now, back to your regularly scheduled thread-

For anyone in the area who might be interested, yesterday I bought a new-in-bag Big Daddy kit from the clearance section of the HobLob in Burleson (the one on Wilshire blvd). I got it for well under half price. I left another one hanging in the back of the clearance aisle that was priced at some $17. It looked (through the bag) like it was OK and all there, I don't know why these were in the clearance section marked down like that, but those are questions that I just don't ask. (Take the rocket and run!) The kit is on clearance, coupons (supposedly) don't work with clearance prices, but it is pretty cheap as it is.

If you are within handy driving distance you may want to stop by Mon or Tues and look for it? Merry Christmas!

And now, back to your regularly scheduled thread-
I've picked up 3 or 4 Big Daddies on clearance at Houston HL's over the past few months, for $10 to $17-ish.

Didn't Excelsior have German ones too at one point Gordy?

Fred (who started Excelsior) planned German and French versions, but Fred had to give up Excelsior due to time constraints. If anybody with artistic skills (e.g., not me) could draw up other Interceptor countries, I'll bet that Gordon would sell them.

Last edited:
I've picked up 3 or 4 Big Daddies on clearance at Houston HL's over the past few months, for $10 to $17-ish.

ROFLOL!!!

How did I know YOU would be the next poster? :roll::roll::roll:

JRThro has so many clearance Big Daddy kits that we are going to start calling him Big Daddy very soon. :D

JRThro has so many clearance Big Daddy kits that we are going to start calling him Big Daddy very soon. :D

In fact, here's a member of his Big Daddy fleet that dropped by to visit. :shock:

If anybody is near the Alexandria LA Hobby Lobby, they have a couple of packs of C11-3 engines on sale for $5.21 each.

Did anyone else find the engine Flight Packs at WalMart for $3.00 a pack? I snatched up as many as I could find earlier this year but now they're back up to $5.97. Must have been 6 months ago.

This fall our local Walmart closed out all the Estes C6-5's for $5 a three pack. I grabbed the whole dam display and put it in my cart. It was 15 packs of engines. Thought that was a pretty good price. Now they won't get anymore engines until next spring. They are a seasonal item at our store.

Back