Question on Aerotech mesh

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ascastil

Reaction score
Has anybody ever pulled the mesh out and reinstalled on an assembled rocket? Id like to remove the mesh on a few kits and make sure they arent all wadded up or obstructed. I imagine getting it out would be easy, how would I get it back in?

Can't help you. But I will say that my G-Force was retired after 30-40 flights and I never had to worry about the mesh.

While painting the Strong Arm, it slipped down on the rod i had in the motor mount a few times straight up into the mesh. I hoping it didn't cram it up into a ball at the top of the motor mount. Dont know if I should really be concerned. I guess I could try and get a look at it with a flashlight.

I pulled the mesh out of my G-Force after multiple flights. I remember thinking it didn't look too fouled.

I stretched it out and tucked it back in most of the way. I figure the next motor I put in pushed it in the rest of the way.

Ironically I just pulled the mesh out of my Arreaux on Sunday, the rocket is 4 going on 5 years old and has maybe 30 -40 flights on it. Although it was clear of debris, because I knock everything out after each flight, it was in bad shape, rusted and came out in pieces. There is still a bit of rusted mesh around the edge of the tube just under the cap, which I will scrape away at this weekend, as well as give the motor tube a clean out then reinstall new mesh.

I am reading the replies for tips...thanks for posting.

For general maintenance, you don't have to remove it. Use a pointy stick from the business end to poke around and "loosen" any compacted areas. If fully removed, I would think that shoving it back up the motor mount would be just fine. When it comes time to replace the mesh, use a simple "Chore Boy" scrubber.

For general maintenance, you don't have to remove it. Use a pointy stick from the business end to poke around and "loosen" any compacted areas. If fully removed, I would think that shoving it back up the motor mount would be just fine. When it comes time to replace the mesh, use a simple "Chore Boy" scrubber.

+1 Also before a flight, I take a deep breath and do a " blow test" from the fore end. If the mesh is blocked you will know it.

To remove the mesh from a couple of my rockets, I made a small hook on one end of a metal coat hanger and just snag the mesh and pull it out. I have done this only a couple of times, since the mesh gunk usually falls out when I tap on the rocket. I did notice that when I pulled out the mesh that it was not overly caked with gunk, so I do the blow test to gauge the need for removal.

Crochet hook. Then leave it out and use nomex.

Nah, don't listen to the naysayers. The cooling mesh works great for MPR. Makes packing the recovery super easy. I have an Aerotech Cheetah that's flown for 15 years with the original mesh.

Ill prabably pull it out with a coat hanger and push it back in with it. Thanks guys.

Latest posts

Back