Question from the wife

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found that my wife became (at the very least, temporarily) more tolerant of my obsess--I mean hobby when I built a rocket for her. She insisted on picking it out (Binder Design Dragonfly). IMHO, I think a stumbling block that "keeps" women out of our beloved hobby is that there really aren't (m)any designs that are catered to women.

It's kind of like video games...mostly played by boys/men because they are designed by boys/men.

So that thought begs this question:
WHERE ARE ALL THE LADY ROCKET DESIGNERS?!?

Originally posted by Loopy
She walked around for 10 minutes saying, "you got me a ... rocket...for our anniversary...you got me a ... rocket... for our anniversary."

If I ever tried a trick like that at my house, it would be followed immediately by a near-death experience.

Or an actual death experience.

OUCH. Wouldent try it just too se what happens, but if you do, tape it! You can send it in to AFV and win 100 grand!:cool: :D

And it would be entertainment for your rocketry buddys!;) :D :p :kill:

My girlfriend is completly supportive of rocketry, I mean we dont live together so she doesnt have to deal with it all the time, and I dont try to teach her stuff, she actually came to me and wanted to do it. We have fun designing rockets on rocksim and she is even a member of the TARC team we are doing at school

I dont mind spending rocket money on her its fun to get away from rockets (you never really know how much you love something until it is taken away from you), and it is also good to be able to share my rocketry experiences with her

Ryan - You never told me she supported the rockets, I figured that she put up with it...

she must really like you man;)

I never really talked to her about it, at least not that much, now she is trying to learn

So you're in a male dominated hobby and you want to pick up women. Easssssy! Go to that Scrapbooking club meeting or the Quilting Bee or the Bridge Club or any other hobby that is dominated by (gasp) WOMEN! If you think there aren't many women in rocketry, wait and see how many men are in the female dominated hobbies. My wife is always talking about this girl or that girl that's never been married and how she wishes they could "find a decent man". I'm thinkin' they must be a bunch of squeal hogs or old crones and then I met a few of them at a church function. WOW!! One in particular had the highest heels, longest legs and shortest skirt I believe I've ever seen in my life!
Oh my! My, my, my!

Da Dog

LOL. You guys are either nuts or desperate. I cant tell which. You tell *ME* to be paitient and take my time!:D ;) :rolleyes: :p :kill:

yeah, or you could just stand around with a huge rocket, all the girls want to know what is going on there. I think it is easier in school.

Crazy, Desperate? I think not completly natural!....lol....

Well, if any of you step back 20', and then charge eachother and whack heads over and over, I will alert animal controll!:D :p :eek:

Hey WW-

There are quite a few women that attend DART's larger launches in the desert. My wife and girls usually come to the desert launches with me, as do the wife and mother of another of the Punk Rocket Science group. At Plaster Blaster, I was amazed at the number of women in attendance!

My wife was out there for Plaster Blaster this past year also, but that was mainly because it was a one-time event, and I convinced her that it would be more interesting and exciting than the usual monthly launches. She liked it, but said that it would probably stay at a once-a-year level.
Most of the fairer-gender representatives out at the DART launches I've attended were either children of the primary launcher (father) or were spouses/girlfriends who themselves weren't all that interested in launching, just watching.
May just be that my observations were skewed because I myself was more interested in launching and prepping flights than in conducting a census of attendees.

WW

so hey, wonderdog, you go to church to check out the babes?

Originally posted by wonderdog
I met a few of them at a church function. WOW!! One in particular had the highest heels, longest legs and shortest skirt I believe I've ever seen in my life! Oh my! My, my, my!

Actually, he is quite right, some of the cutest ladies I have ever seen can be found at churches. While this is perhaps not the ideal reason to attend, it is a very nice side benefit. Getteth thee into a youth group!

Originally posted by powderburner
If I ever tried a trick like that at my house, it would be followed immediately by a near-death experience.

Or an actual death experience.

Well, the second time I got her a rocket, it almost was. The following year for our anniversary, we bought a real camera, and decided that it would be our anniversary present to each other. Well, she had seen the SkyWriter in the store one day, and just kept talking about it. So, me, being the mental giant I am (and forgetting the reaction the previous year) got her a SkyWriter and proudly wrapped it and presented it to her...once again on our anniversary. I'm not allowed to build it, and it's been sitting on the workbench downstairs, still in it's package, for almost two years now. She says she's trying to prove a point...

At work, we are often asked what it the most dense material that can be used to ballast something for trim adjustment. They always want high density to get the most trim effect when adding ballast in a given volume, so we end up specifying depleted uranium and stuff like that.

But not before answering, "Male grey-matter, when it is time to shop for anniversary gifts."

Originally posted by powderburner
so hey, wonderdog, you go to church to check out the babes?

Actually, he is quite right, some of the cutest ladies I have ever seen can be found at churches. While this is perhaps not the ideal reason to attend, it is a very nice side benefit. Getteth thee into a youth group!

Just remember not to break the 1st, 4th, and 7th Commandment ;)

At a launch??? I must confess that I break #3 too regularly during construction...:eek:

My lovely wife, the mother of my chirrun, was met by me in none of the places I frequented while "enjoying" my single period. She was and is a church going stone fox! Gentlemen, a woman with high traditional standards can only make a good man better. Go join that church youth group for whatever reason. Only good will come of it. No, I've never bought her a rocket and she doesn't want one. But I can buy all I want. Thankya, Lord!

Da Dog:cool: :cool: :cool:

Whats #3 say?

Thou shalt not say dirty words when your rocket crashes?:D ;) :p:confused:

Doug,

I just tried the link to Exodus....:confused:

The "Bible" is temporarily unavailable?

Now I KNOW we are in trouble!

sandman

You mean 20:7? Thou shalt not take the name of god in vain? Yeah... I hear *THAT* a lot at launches....

LOL! The bible is unavailible!? Yeah... We just might be in a spot of trouble....;) :D :eek: The link worked fine for me....:rolleyes:

My wife calls us a bunch a nerds, BUT She built a few rockets with us anyway to fly in the schoolyard. Then she came to a launch. She saw a boost glider and really liked it. So when I got a BFTPR Centuri Space Shuttle , she guilted me into letting her build it. "You have that other (estes) space shuttle kit to build." So she built it, and I painted it. Even though WE built it, it's HER rocket.

Go figure. The first (and only) Centuri Kit I get since I was a kid and my wife takes it away from me!

She did a pretty good job. It's actually my favorite rocket in the fleet.

As for other Women in our club, there are a few who fly, one is L1, one is L3, a few other guys wives and a lot of daughters fly modrocs. We have a good range that we can camp at, and a lot of families do.

A lot of the little girls name their rockets things like "tigger" and such.

We also have member who's wife makes parachutes for sale. I have a whole bunch of her "Recovery Technologies" chutes and haven't used a plastic chute since.

I thin CMASS does a huge group-buy from her every year.... I have COMPETITION at CMASS!:kill: :eek: :mad: ;) At least she doesent sell AT CMASS, so I still have a buisness...:D :cool:

Originally posted by Ryan S.
yeah, or you could just stand around with a huge rocket, all the girls want to know what is going on there. I think it is easier in school.

Don't count on that. Especially in school, this will generate the dreaded [Star] Trek Geek stigma, which is anathama to trying to land a date on Friday night. Even the goth girls will steer clear.

It may also evoke such snickers as "I think he's compensating for something."

WW

I just asked my wife if she liked my rockets and the launches and would she want to go and she gave me the "LOOK", those of you who are married know what I'm talking about, and said, "I'll pass".
As for anniversary presents, I thought I had it bad when I took her to an Angels game(our anniversary is Aug. 16). Hey, we had our name up on the scoreboard, and it said Happy Annivesary! That's cool, right guys?:( :(
Anyway Neil, don't even think about girls until your 23, that way you'll be mature enough to handle yourself in dealing with them. My oldest son is 15 and thank goodness he's not girl crazy. He's actually a very responsible kid.
What another great thread this turned out to be. Very entertaining and yet at the same time very informative.

Still working on my Tres, no time for anything else yet, looks like it's going to be one at time for awhile.

Back