Question for wood experts

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNmike

Reaction score
What is the best type of wood dowels to use on model rockets where stiffness (but not brittle), toughness, strength, reasonable smoothness, etc. are important? In other words longer structural pieces rather than short ornamental/detail pieces. I would be looking at the smaller sizes say from 3/32" to 1/4". Thanks

What is the best type of wood dowels to use on model rockets

Carbon fiber. For what you need have you considered it? You can get rods from hobby shops and eBay relatively cheaply in the smaller sizes. Could probably even uses smaller diameter compared to wood. Only difference is you would need to use epoxy instead of PVA. Not sure your intended use.

Your choices in dowel woods are very limited usually. Oak and Maple are the two most common as well as Poplar (I think), Maple is the better of the choices. Bamboo may be available but may be too springy/bendy depending on diameter. Unless you have to have wood as others have stated carbon fiber is definitely a great option and it can be had in rounds, squares, rectagular etc.

imo, getting
stiffness (but not brittle), toughness, strength, reasonable smoothness,

would be best to go to carbon fiber.

in that diameter, if you can find hard maple dowels, that would be the choice. it has a janka hardness of 1,450 lbf where red oak is 1,220 lbf and poplar only 540 lbf.
hickory would be even stronger at 1,880 lbf

heres hickory dowels

https://www.edensaw.com/MainSite/Store1/StoreProducts/ProductList/396

and hard maple

https://www.midwestdowel.com/pages/shop/itemdetail/144/

Thanks everyone. Duh, I don't know why I hadn't thought of CF. I looked at it not long ago possibly for launch rods. CF is very reasonable in cost these days and readily available.

Thanks everyone. Duh, I don't know why I hadn't thought of CF. I looked at it not long ago possibly for launch rods. CF is very reasonable in cost these days and readily available.

Carbon arrow shafts, discontinued styles can easily be found for around a buck or so....

Back