Question about The Launch Pad Rocket Kits

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CQBArms

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the fins and parts come precut or if it is a kit with balsa stock and patterns?

Thanks

all the ones i have built come with stock and patterns.tricky yet rewarding:D

Thanks...
I do not think my jedi skills are up to that yet.

Originally posted by arthur dent
all the ones i have built come with stock and patterns.tricky yet rewarding:D

Originally posted by CQBArms
Thanks...
Are you kidding? Don't underestimate yourself. I've seen you post a ton of rockets here, and you do fine work. I would say that you are ready!

Originally posted by CQBArms
Thanks...

Ahhh weedhopper....become one with the knife.....you are the knife. See the fins appear before your eyes before they appear before you eyes.......

It's actually not that bad. Nice sharp hobby knife, straight edge, and some ability with tracing and boom you got fins! Whats the worst that could happen, you have to go and get another hunk of wood!

Tom :D

Sooner or later, like any good surgeon, you too will have to be one with the knife. You have nothing to fear. There are just some simple rules to follow when you start. Here are a few, others please pipe in and add. Oh...and if you would like some scrap balsa to try your hand and practice, say the word and I'll send you some!;)

-Get yourself a good xacto knife that takes #11 baldes.
Click Here for Knife and blade combo...

-Get a good metal ruler/straightedge. You can fins these in most fabric, r hardware stores. This really helps making cuts whether it be fins, or even cutting strips.

-A self healing cutting mat is nice, but even a small piece of homasote will do. You can find a self healing mat at your local Walmart or fabric store.

Some tips for cutting.

-Always use a sharp blade. Learn how to sharpen yor blade by using a piece of leather or some old 800 grt oxide paper (sand paper)

-Plan your cuts. When you practice, don't use a heavy hand. It's better to make multiple light cuts, then one heavy cut. When I balsa across the grain, it may take 4-5 passes. This ensures a nice clean cut and no-splitting.

-Even when you use a straight edge, the grain of the wood has a lot to do with whether or not your blade will "wander" pratice pratice.....

So....get the kit. Get some scrap. Practice. The go for it. You'll be happy you did!

Thanks guys, I'll give it a try. I have some kits here that are "cut your own" and have done one at work on the laser cutter...but I will give it a spin.

PS never use a flojet to cut balsa...it's messy! ;)

Sounding like a geezer here.....

I remember back in the first Golden Age of Rocketry (not the current one, or actually this may be the Renaissance....) the only way to make fins from any kit was cutting out the fin template from the printed cardstock, tracing and cutting out with your hobby knife/box cutter/matt knife/single edge razor blade. Trust me, if a 10 year old could get the hang of it, you can too. As was mentioned before, drop a couple of bucks (even less with a 40% off coupon from Hobby Lobby) on a sheet or two of balsa, get some practice, and you'll have it down in no time. Sharp knife + metal straight edge + repeat passes when cutting across grain = great fins.

Just my 2 cents....

Al

I had a REAL bad experience with a kit like that when I was a kid...I may be scarred for life...hence my reluctance.

I was about 10, it ended in my house burning down, my dog running away from home, and oddly I could speak fluent Mandarin when it was all said and done.

Originally posted by Rocket Al
Sounding like a geezer here.....

I remember back in the first Golden Age of Rocketry (not the current one, or actually this may be the Renaissance....) the only way to make fins from any kit was cutting out the fin template from the printed cardstock, tracing and cutting out with your hobby knife/box cutter/matt knife/single edge razor blade. Trust me, if a 10 year old could get the hang of it, you can too. As was mentioned before, drop a couple of bucks (even less with a 40% off coupon from Hobby Lobby) on a sheet or two of balsa, get some practice, and you'll have it down in no time. Sharp knife + metal straight edge + repeat passes when cutting across grain = great fins.

Just my 2 cents....

Al

If you plan to do this alot, a razor saw is a good investment.. Easier to use than teh X-acto.. especially with hard woods..

Back