Question about "mass override is on" with RockSim

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MetricRocketeer

Member of the US Metric Association
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a question, please, pertaining to this RockSim file in particular. I have encountered this issue before, however, so I would like to understand it now that I have the matter before me again.

I am working on the RockSim file for the Estes Doorknob. On the 29 mm Estes engine retainer, the weight is shown as 0.0 grams, with the message that the "mass override is on." But I didn't turn it on, and I don't see how to turn it off.

I do understand what mass override means, and I know how to click the appropriate tab on the dialog box to turn the mass override on or off. But I don't even see such a tab for this component.

I am attaching the file, and then I hope that one of you knowledgeable colleagues could be so kind as to explain to me what is going on.

Thank you.

Stanley

Attachments

• estes-Doorknob edited.rkt
    134.7 KB · Views: 6
Take this with a grain of salt as I do not mess with the mass of individual components in my builds. However, I believe it is turned on and looking for you to put in the mass, as none is associated with that component in the database.

The "mass override is on" shows up because you input a "mass" for your Mass component. That statement will show up on all your components in your rocket component list if you enter a mass. Go into you RockSim file, select the body tube, select mass override, and then input any old number. You will see the mass override statement appear. The statement is just a little redundant since the program knows you have the Mass component listed as a Mass component. It's just one of those little quirks.

The "mass override is on" shows up because you input a "mass" for your Mass component. That statement will show up on all your components in your rocket component list if you enter a mass. Go into you RockSim file, select the body tube, select mass override, and then input any old number. You will see the mass override statement appear. The statement is just a little redundant since the program knows you have the Mass component listed as a Mass component. It's just one of those little quirks.
Hi QFactor,

Thank you for your reply.

Oh, I see. The message about mass override will always occur when you add a "mass object" as a component. I didn't realize this, if indeed that is the situation.

For any other component, meanwhile, the mass-override message will occur only when you click on the option to override the mass.

Stanley

Back