Question about making decals.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NUBlackshirts

Reaction score
I know there are a few ways to make decals using ink jet printers. But have any of you tried making them with a color laser printer? I just happen to heve access to one, and the thought crossed my mind. (Actually, my Wife would tell you a lot of things cross my mind, but very few actually stay there.)

NU...

ALL my Scale Missiles I have built were decaled using a color laserjet and it works fantastic!!! The key is to use the card stock setting on the paper type...this is important and will cause the printer to use less color when running the waterslide paper through. Without this setting, waterslides and vinyl come out smeared and caked. This is most prominant with the red colors.

All in all though, the color laser is by far superior to the inkjet printer.

Carl

Carl, what do you use to set the laser printed decals? same stuff as for ink jet? which system are you using?

(my last decal sheet, I forgot to set... what a mess when I dipped them in water!!)

For laser decals on waterslide I use Microscale decal film to coat them. I apply two medium coats and then you can cut them out and apply.

Carl

I have taken my decalse to Office Maxx to get them copied on the color copier. I found that making decals with that film... always use the color copier... even when the decals are black. The standalone black copiers do not work very well, I find that their toner flakes off.

Originally posted by NUBlackshirts
I know there are a few ways to make decals using ink jet printers. But have any of you tried making them with a color laser printer? I just happen to heve access to one, and the thought crossed my mind. (Actually, my Wife would tell you a lot of things cross my mind, but very few actually stay there.)

Can you tell me(or provide links) to the current techniques for waterslide decals with inkjet printers?

Hey guys, I hear all this talk about printing the decals, but none about drawing them.

Here is a tip: Use Coraldraw: Scan, or download a scan of your desired decal, then re-draw the decal with Coreldraw. It is super-easy to use. (I know just enough about computers to break them, but I whipped up the below deacl in about 20 minutes last night. It is a re-draw of a discontinued Custom rocket: the Dynamic Carrier. Once you have your Corel image, you can save as a PDF and print, email, burn it to a disk, whetever...

I picked up a copy of Coreldraw on Ebay for $30.00 and it is just great.

Coral is a great program
Adobe photoshop is annother good choice

Back