Question about HPR Chute packing

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Orion14ed

Reaction score
So with my cert attempt coming up, I've been focusing on individual parts of the flight, today was the recovery. The chute I have has shroud lines that make it a little difficult to get all of them equal in length. My solution was to tie a knot at a given length on each and attach them like so
IMG_0059.jpgIMG_0059.jpgIMG_0058.jpg

I was then going to take something and wrap it around the lines between the knot and the link. Is this the way I should do it? Do I have to worry about the shroud lines tangling more in a configuration like this?

Also, what is your recommended way of folding the chute, I've seen several all over the place and I'd like to know your opinion, thanks. :)

rharshberger

Reaction score
So with my cert attempt coming up, I've been focusing on individual parts of the flight, today was the recovery. The chute I have has shroud lines that make it a little difficult to get all of them equal in length. My solution was to tie a knot at a given length on each and attach them like so
View attachment 292653View attachment 292653View attachment 292654

I was then going to take something and wrap it around the lines between the knot and the link. Is this the way I should do it? Do I have to worry about the shroud lines tangling more in a configuration like this?

Also, what is your recommended way of folding the chute, I've seen several all over the place and I'd like to know your opinion, thanks. :)
What type chute are you using and size, parasheet ( Estes style), Hemispherical (traditional style) etc?

DavidMcCann

Reaction score
typically I hang all three lines from a finger, pull that through the quick link, then pull the parachute through that loop. boom. done.

erm, but sure to close the quick link. I've heard thatsummmmm..... important.

Last edited:

scsager

Slightly burned-out old guy
Reaction score
Suggestion - If you use a Nomex chute protector... Tie it off, or attach it to the shock cord to prevent it from sliding up the lines and "reefing" the chute.

Onebadhawk

Sponsor
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
Suggestion - If you use a Nomex chute protector... Tie it off, or attach it to the shock cord to prevent it from sliding up the lines and "reefing" the chute.
+1....

Tanks Dave,,, lol...

Teddy