Question about Handbook

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragonshiprider

Reaction score
Hey all! Some of the responses to the "How do I get started" thread have led me to ponder a question about the Handbook of Model Rocketry.I have the 6th edition.However,I have not seen the 7th edition.I am wondering what is different about it?Is it worth throwing down the money for?

From a personal standpoint, I have the 6th edition and I find it more than enough for me.
I have not seen the 7th edition but if it is like most other manuals the vast majority of the book will be re=printed from the 6th.
It would be great if you don't already have HBOMR but for me I will stick with the 6th edition and spend the money on motors.

I don't know what's new, but I can't imagine it being to big a deal. Visit websites...TRF, EMRR, ROL, InfoCentral, personal sites, etc. to fill in the gaps.

But I am also curious about what bits they have chosen to leave out from one edition to the next.
If you can get hold of one of the older editions there is some interesting advice about making your own propellants and motors: it's DANGEROUS, don't do it!

Originally posted by dragonshiprider
Hey all! Some of the responses to the "How do I get started" thread have led me to ponder a question about the Handbook of Model Rocketry.I have the 6th edition.However,I have not seen the 7th edition.I am wondering what is different about it?Is it worth throwing down the money for?

90% of the stuff that's important I recognize from my first copy, 3rd edition, and a lot of that was in the 1st edition I took out of the library every month for two years.

I didn't know a 7th edition was in print. G. Harry Stine passed away after the 6th I believe. I love "The Handbook" I read it cover to cover back in 4th grade. I'd read it on the school bus to and from school each day. Even though I've been involved in this hobby for 11 years now (I'm 18) and fly mostly high power the Handbook of Model Rocketry is still a great reference.

The local library has a copy of the 4th edition; my personal copy is the 6th. As others have noted, the bulk of the truly important, foundational stuff remains unchanged. The prime differences are items like BASIC code for altitude tracking, electronics, HPR; some really neat drawings of boost gliders can be found in the 4th edition but not the 6th. Oh - and a shot of G. Harry himself holding a seven-motor cluster job he built.

Originally posted by Ozymandias
I love "The Handbook" I read it cover to cover back in 4th grade. I'd read it on the school bus to and from school each day.

Cool, Ozy ... I read the Handbook cover to cover in 4th grade too, and used to read it on the school bus ... but that was back in 1968-69.... :D :D ... just remember that when you're talking to some young rocketeer in about 2040... :D :D .. I'll be busy in the basement of my retirement home programming digital launch controls and thumbnail video cams for my multi-engine, multi-stage, POMRV (Personal Orbital Model Rocketry Vehicle).... :D :D

But a lot of the basic stuff in the Handbook is still as valid as ever. I bought the (5th??) edition in 1994... but decided to spring for the new one hot off the presses....

:D:D

I've read both the 6th and 7th eds... Theres not much different, more information about HPR and electronic payloads, and computer software, and thats about it.

Phil

I have both the 6th and 7th editions. The 7th edition has one additional chapter that covers high power. Bill Sine has done a great job updating all the other chapters from the 6th edition. 7th edition has quite a few new pictures such as; static test devices, fin aligment guides, glues and adhesives, and helicopter recovery. Internet web sites are also given for the major model rocket manufacturers. I had the 6th edition, when I saw the new 7th edition in a book store liked what I saw, so I bought it! Keep in mind the 6th edition is now 10 years from its original print date (1994).

Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055

If you bring your 7th edition to the HobbyVisions show in Las Vegas, Bill will autograph it (assuming he's there). I sent him an e-mail to ask if he was going to man his booth like last year and if he was bringing any books to sell (or to sell through the on-site retail store).

No word yet. I'll post something in the events area if and when I hear from him.

https://www.hobbyvisions.com/

Back